What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My Really BIG Engine

Yukon

Well Known Member
My really, really, really BIG engine

Since it is OK to raise our gross weight during certification, I've decided to install a Pratt and Whitney R-2800. I'm figuring it will be a little nose heavy, but if I put the batteries and the strobe power supply below the horizontal stabilizer, I will only need about 182 pounds of lead in the tail.

Since the magnetos and pressure carburetor are so out-dated, I'm going to install my Apple 2E in the right seat to control a capacitor discharge ignition
and electronic fuel injection I salvaged off a wrecked Subaru Outback. To save weight, I'm only using one spark plug per cylinder, and I've welded closed the other plug holes.

The fuel system is going to be a real challenge. Because the engine flows such large amounts of gas at 60 inches of manifold pressure (two stage blower) I am planning to adapt the 2 HP centifugal pump off my pool filter to pump the fuel. Going to use the diatomacious earth filter from the pool equipment to filter the fuel, thus saving space on the firewall by deleting the
ever-contentious gascolator. This pump is of course 220 volt AC so it will require a rather large static inverter, which I plan on installing in the baggage compartment.

This airplane is going to be really, really fast. Probably the fastest in the country. Range will be somewhat limited, but because there is no room for a passenger, I plan on installing an extra fuel tank in the right seat, under the
Apple computer/engine computer.

For those of you that will find fault with my installation because it is heavy, complex or inefficient, I want to remind you in advance, that this is "Experimental Aviation" and it is my right to build as I please.

Last edited:
Van's approved?

John, should we paste in your comments about the Subaru here? :)

Yukon said:
Since it is OK to raise our gross weight during certification, I've decided to install a Pratt and Whitney R-2800. I'm figuring it will be a little nose heavy, but if I put the batteries and the strobe power supply below the horizontal stabilizer, I will only need about 1823 pounds of lead in the tail.

Will you be offering a FWF kit?

FWF Kits - R-2800

chuck said:
Will you be offering a FWF kit?

Most definitely. I plan on quitting my flying job and devoting full-time effort to marketing a FWF kit for this engine. Lycoming engines are so old school that I figure this installation will sweep the market in a couple of years.

I will be accepting deposits soon on the FWF kits for delivery in late 2006.

Launch Customer?

rv8ch said:
John, should we paste in your comments about the Subaru here? :)

Mickey,

I've got to say that you played a large part in my inspiration for this project.
Thanking you in advance for your participation. If you will forward a 50 percent deposit, I will make you the launch customer for this engine. Price for a late 2006 delivery is $33,995.

Last edited:
Yukon said:
... If you will forward a 50 percent deposit, I will make you the launch customer for this engine. Price for a late 2006 delivery is $33,995.
So cheap! I think I'll send the whole amount to ensure that you don't sell my position to someone else! :)

It runs on mogas and ethanol, right?

Yukon said:
Since it is OK to raise our gross weight during certification, I've decided to install a Pratt and Whitney R-2800. I'm figuring it will be a little nose heavy, but if I put the batteries and the strobe power supply below the horizontal stabilizer, I will only need about 182 pounds of lead in the tail.

You should really consider a Wright R-1820 instead. Upgrade that old Apple IIE with the portable IIC and you might be able to cut down some of that lead in the tail.
I've got lots of time in T-28s and can tell you that the only downside of the R-1820 was the big puddle of oil it left on the ramp. A case of oil stored in the tail will probably eliminate even more of that lead.

John

You're gonna need to extend the landing gear. Six or seven feet ought to do it. Taxi visibility will be slightly reduced; maybe put a camera in the nose.

I would like to take the experimenting out of experimental aviation. therefore I have made up my mind to go the Lycoming route. Any chance you can build me a FWF kit for a spare Lycoming R-7755 I have laying around (google it)

Interested

A couple of questions before I forward the deposit:

-Is there a Diesel version?

-I want a 4-Blade, wood, constant speed prop that isn't too heavy.

-Will you be offering an in-flight refueling port to address the limited range?

-With the increased range made capable by the in-flight refueling port, do your foresee any issues in using Dan Checkoway's relief tube as a sort of water-cooling conversion kit on this engine?

Good post, made me laugh!!

LYCOMING XR-7755

davidkarlsberg said:
I would like to take the experimenting out of experimental aviation. therefore I have made up my mind to go the Lycoming route. Any chance you can build me a FWF kit for a spare Lycoming R-7755 I have laying around (google it)

Yes indeed David, here at the Really Big Engine Company we are responding to strong customer demand with the introduction of our XR-7755 Lycoming
powerplant for RV-7, 8 and 10. ( This engine is not recommended for the -9).
As a matter of fact, this engine is being flight tested as we speak (see picture).

This FWF installation is being offered for December 2006 delivery positions for only $41,995, A 50 PERCENT DEPOSIT REQUIRED TO ASSURE YOUR DELIVERY POSITION!

Diesel Version Coming Soon!

compren said:
A couple of questions before I forward the deposit:

-Is there a Diesel version?

-I want a 4-Blade, wood, constant speed prop that isn't too heavy.

-Will you be offering an in-flight refueling port to address the limited range?

-With the increased range made capable by the in-flight refueling port, do your foresee any issues in using Dan Checkoway's relief tube as a sort of water-cooling conversion kit on this engine?

Good post, made me laugh!!

Yes Sir, a 4 bladed, constant speed, diesel, aerial refueled version is on the test stand as we speak, and will be available for December 2006 delivery for an introductory price of...................

johngoodman said:
You should really consider a Wright R-1820 instead. Upgrade that old Apple IIE with the portable IIC and you might be able to cut down some of that lead in the tail.
I've got lots of time in T-28s and can tell you that the only downside of the R-1820 was the big puddle of oil it left on the ramp. A case of oil stored in the tail will probably eliminate even more of that lead.

John

Nope, only girlie-men fly single-row radials. Here at the Really Big Engine Company , we don't sell girlie motors. Call back when you want to order a really heavy, high horsepower motor.

You lame amateurs

ye of little imagination:

Yukon what version of photo shop is that, is that for the etchasketch? :D

PS if you go with the Pratt make sure you offset the vet stab 45 degrees to the left for P-factor and torque.

Last edited:
Yukon said:
Nope, only girlie-men fly single-row radials. Here at the Really Big Engine Company , we don't sell girlie motors. Call back when you want to order a really heavy, high horsepower motor.

Ouch! Well, I don't want to be called a girlie-man, so I'll have to think about one. I'm concerned about prop clearance. The A1H Skyraider was pretty tall. Will you have extension kits for the main gear?
John

Don't even bother with the main gear extension kit - instead, modify the wings aka F4U Corsair. A gull winged RV-8 would be so cool!

RV82

The best of these remains the RV 82--see archives-search function.

If I ever get my 8 in the air maybe that will be my next project

Hooraaa!

N395V said:
LOP???????

Where ya been Jarhead???? Your new plane must be pretty close to done! Mine's a little slow now with the temps in Phoenix being arount 110! Just too **** hot to hang out in the garage.

LOP is alive and well in my new radial conversion. Under normal conditions, the R-2800 burns about 100 gph in cruise, but with GAMI injectors and careful leaning, Walter and I have gotten fuel flows down to about 6 1/2 gph.

Now accepting deposits for December 2006 delivery!

Yukon said:
LOP is alive and well in my new radial conversion. Under normal conditions, the R-2800 burns about 100 gph in cruise, but with GAMI injectors and careful leaning, Walter and I have gotten fuel flows down to about 6 1/2 gph.
I'm sorry, this is just too funny!!!!! :D

Oak Propellers

Glad you brought this up. Because of the high installed weight of our R-2800
engine package, it will not be possible to install metal propellers. Carving your own custom oak prop is a good option, and we highly encourage you to do so. Even though you probably know nothing about propeller design and construction, don't be deterred, as this is "EXPERIMENTAL AVIATION".

If you will send us your 50% deposit immediately, we will give you a free Ronco Stainless Steel wood carving kit for trying our product. Send your
check today and we will guarantee a December 2006 delivery.

Actually, I think you guys are way off base with the whole big engine thing. I initially had this idea when I was looking at building a Bearhawk, but I think it applies....

A little Cox .049 engine weighs about 2 1/4oz and puts out about 1hp at 24,000 RPM. You can pick these things up, with fixed pitch prop, for about $50 bucks...maybe $30 with volume discounting. If I put 300 of these on the front, I'd have *300HP* yanking my RV-7 through the air for $9000, and it'd only weigh 42lbs. I could even lose a few and still be kicking some serious butt.

The only problem at the moment is range. I figure once around the baseball field...

jcoloccia said:
Actually, I think you guys are way off base with the whole big engine thing. I initially had this idea when I was looking at building a Bearhawk, but I think it applies....

A little Cox .049 engine weighs about 2 1/4oz and puts out about 1hp at 24,000 RPM. You can pick these things up, with fixed pitch prop, for about $50 bucks...maybe $30 with volume discounting. If I put 300 of these on the front, I'd have *300HP* yanking my RV-7 through the air for $9000, and it'd only weigh 42lbs. I could even lose a few and still be kicking some serious butt.

The only problem at the moment is range. I figure once around the baseball field...

However, the fuel costs about 5 times AVGAS and these little suckers pass copius quantities through the ports without burning it. I don't think GAMI makes an injector for a Cox .049 so you won't get the combined burn rate under 7 GPH, it will probably be about 50 GPH at about $20 a gallon for a fuel cost of $1000 per hour. So, after flying about 16 hours, you will be on the red side of a Lyclone.

And think of all that castor oil gumming up your beautiful RV! ;)

Jekyll

Jekyll said:
However, the fuel costs about 5 times AVGAS and these little suckers pass copius quantities through the ports without burning it. I don't think GAMI makes an injector for a Cox .049 so you won't get the combined burn rate under 7 GPH, it will probably be about 50 GPH at about $20 a gallon for a fuel cost of $1000 per hour. So, after flying about 16 hours, you will be on the red side of a Lyclone.

Jekyll

Yea, but think about how smooth it will be!

I don't think I'll need the Ronco carving tools. I have a genuine Swiss Army knife on my keychain.

I don't think that engine includes an alternator. Here's an idea to power the electrical system Alternate Alternator

Hamsteralt

Good idea, but we'll need two, because our engine is all-electric and must
have a reliable source of DC power. Redundancy is the name of the game here in the alternative engine business.

compromises

Jekyll said:

Jekyll

Yes......but,

As we all know airplanes and aviation are a series of compromises!

Volume Discount?

Jim,

Two RV's! You da man! Could I interest you in a volume discount on two of my FWF R-2800 engine packages? Call me when I get back from Oshkosh!

Yukon said:
Jim,

Two RV's! You da man! Could I interest you in a volume discount on two of my FWF R-2800 engine packages? Call me when I get back from Oshkosh!

John,

I sincerely appreciate your generous offer of a discount on volume purchases. I would like to take you up on that offer, however, on a moral basis I can't. You sir, are obviously a man of great character and humanity! I simply could not take advantage of you in that way! I insist, I want 3 of your fine aircraft engine packages, site unseen (or even untested, don't worry I am only too happy to do that for you). Furthermore, I insist on paying full price, as when I do my article for the Smithsonion and Kitplanes I wish to be able to tell all that there was absolutely no pressure to give you the fine accolades you deserve!! Where do I send my check and please give me total amount. Any chance of getting them in November 2006? I want to be the first, and I mean THE first!!!! I am planning a video!

Last edited:
special request

Oh John,

By the way, I been thinking here for a minute about the two stage blower you mentioned in the first post. Seems a little antiquated to me......I mean come on it is the 21 st century! Anyways listen, hows about we work up a deal with a used jet engine APU and turn that into the blower? I know it will work!!!! What do you think? If it pans out maybe I might be interested in a discount, or ah even a "rebate" (on all future sales of your packages outfitted with that option, yeah, that's the ticket.........eh?!)
Hope to see you at Oshkosh to finalize the delivery....How much you think shipping will be?

Last edited:
careful

Jim,

We all recognize ones right to experiment. However in good conscience I feel I need to warn you, if you use this engine you will most likely need a prop extension if you plan to use the diesel version of the James cowl, inlets may need a little redesign...not a big deal there, but with the prop extension aerobatics may be just too risky! Think about your mission MAN!!!!!

Jim,

If the Japanese can produce tiny little technicians like those in the pictures, they can do anything. This engine has to be excellent.

Not to cut into John's thunder, as the R-2800 is a proven aircraft engine, I've contacted the Aioi Works of Japan's Diesel United, Ltd and now am happy to announce that I am able to sell these engines to experimental aircraft builders.
To order, simply let me know how many cylinders you want. Remember that the RV-9A is not rated for the 14 cylinder model. Also note, if you are not located on a major seaport delivery charges will be slightly higher.

Diesels anyone

If you are interested in a big diesel, I know of an available stationary diesel that is designed to run on 10% diesel and 90% natural gas. It is 6300 Hp and when it was used as a prime mover for an electric generator the synchronous speed was 256 RPM. Just think of the size prop an engine turning that slow could handle without the prop tips going supersonic.

There may be a small weight problem, but I am sure that would not bother anyone who really wants to go the experimental engine route.

I am will to act as agent for only a 10% handling fee. I suspect we can get the engine for under $10,000 but we will need to absorb all removal costs.

Wing loading?

What would the wing loading be on a RV9 or a 7 with the 12 cyl? What about range? Hmmm...

Back