What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GX55 update

kcameron

Well Known Member
I'm planning a long xc this summer in the RV-4 I bought a couple of months ago. The Apollo GX55 gps database is pretty old. I'd like to update it before I go on the trip.

The Garmin website pointed me to the Jeppesen site. That site says to call them about it. From what I gather, I'll probably need to download the new database and program the card myself. Jeppesen sells a card programmer (Skybound USB) for about $150. However, I've already got a couple of USB card programers. One is a "universal" type that programs many different flash memory formats. I'm wondering if I can use that and avoid paying for a seemingly redundant device. Do any of you guys know?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin,

I had a GX55 in my 7GCBC. The card programmer is an option, but if you're just interested in a one time update to get your database a little more current, you can still get a card from Jeppesen. They'll send you a new one, then you send the old one back to keep from paying a core charge.

Kevin:

Be careful. The new databases may be bigger than the card you have. The old database and card were 2 Meg. The new database is over 2 Meg and they are now using a new 4 Meg card. (generic blank card can be purchased off the internet for less than $50 US)

The last database purchase for my GX60 was done last year before Oshkosh for $183 from Garmin in Salem, OR for a card swap. II Morrow, later UPSAT, now Garmin has the Apollo factory facility in Salem.

Back