What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

confused in Canada re: RV-12

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
Hey gang,
like most of us, I plan ( fear) that I'll be unable to pass the call 3 medical one day.
I think a Recreational license would be quite fine, as right now I fly within it's parameters anyway.
currently driving an RV-9a, but could see me building something cheaper, more grass strip friendly.

so what's the dealeeyo? can I build or buy an RV-12, and fly it? or some other LSA ?

Haven't found anything in black and white to define this scenario....hoping someone has gone this route and can advise.

any canucks gone this route?

there seem to be no black & white explanation of how to downgrade from a PPL to Rec.
what I can glean from Transport Canada;
pretty much they put all the oness on your family doctor to certify that you " have no conditions which would prevent you from the safe operation of an aircraft". Like, how the heck is he supposed to know....that's why they invented CAME's, right!?!?!
anyhow, it looks like if one's vision were failing, you might get by with one good eye that is 20/30, whereas the class 3 requires both.
Then there's a whole whack of things in the class 4 medical; you can be half deaf, colour blind, and diabetic, with arthritis etc......as long as you doc is willing to stick his neck out and say that none of it will interfere with your safe operation of an aircraft.

...again, has anyone gone this route? why? how do you prepare for the class 4 submission if your doc has never done one before???

thanks for any tips.

The whole concept is flawed from the start, IMO. My understanding is that you cannot get an RPP if you have any medical condition that precludes getting a PPL. A lot of pilots seem to think that as soon as they are denied their medical or think they are going to be denied, that they can just downgrade to the RPP and keep flying.

stepping up, not down?

I agree Rob, looks like it was designed for people entering the license process, not stepping down from a higher rating/class. My CAME said that they would much rather work with me to keep my class 3, rather than downgrade to a class 4.
Still looking for one of the 1,000 pilots who are in this position who can tell us how & why & when etc.!!! :)
It really makes me wonder when you see ads that say, " lost medical, selling plane".....when it seems that they should be able to keep on flying, with a few more restrictions.

One Eyed Pilot

anyhow, it looks like if one's vision were failing, you might get by with one good eye that is 20/30, whereas the class 3 requires both.

A one eye'd private pilot gave me a tailwheel check-out many years ago...
He also flew an extra 300! (not the L version) He said the whole airport not just the runway disapeared below the nose and wings on final. Good pilot but didn't like low approaches as they left not much perspective.

Start building the -12 (Looks like a fun build and thinking about it myself) and deal with any medical problems when the time comes! There are probably going to be a lot of regulatory changes from now until then. (I golf with a 70+ year old that can outbike most of us.) :)

Last edited:
Back