What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommend me a path from N.Texas to SLC

Neal@F14

Well Known Member
I might need to make a flight from north central Texas to Salt Lake City, UT (U42 South Valley Regional airport)

I'm thinking a flight path from W.Falls TX to Greeley CO, then north to Laramie, WY, and follow I-80 west across Wyoming to Evanston, then turn down towards Heber, then follow the highway 189/Provo River valley down to Orem, then north/northwest from there up to U42.

Thoughts?

How's flying in an RV-6 with one pax and baggage near the 1600lb gross along such a path thru the mountains this time of the year?

Am I stupid to consider it? The prior owner of my old Cherokee 140 used to fly it from east Iowa into SLC (also landing at U42) along I-80, but he was always solo when he did it.

Last edited:
I might need to make a flight from north central Texas to Salt Lake City, UT (U42 South Valley Regional airport)

I can't help with the RV-6 performance question, sorry.

As for the route, I am in New Mexico so am biased. I would go something like F14-FMN-U42. This avoids nearly all the tall granite and takes you over some really pretty stretches. Namely, the Taos/Sante Fe, NM area and Canyonlands Utah. However; if the goal is to see the tall rocks, this isn't the way to go.

The Evanston to U42 works fine. Parleys Cyn. I-80 works well to. Note: that KSLC's ClassB airspace changes on Oct. 18th. Link below.

From Texas, I'd prefer a southern Utah route. The scenery is excellent, such as Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, etc. The RV6 will handle all of this with no problem. You won't need to go high enough to require oxygen. Look at a route that includes Moab (Canyonlands airport), Bryce Cyn, Cedar City, & Delta. It avoids Spanish Fork canyon, which I don't particularly like. Then you just follow the west side of Utah Lake, to the Point of the Mountain, and on into U42. Don't need to talk to ATC, if you don't want too.

L.Adamson

http://web.mail.comcast.net/service...8 2012.pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=156520&part=3

Lean westward per Adamson except I recommend going up the valley in which lies KRIF. Three courtesy cars, good chow at the Little Wonder Cafe, low terrain out the top to follow I15 to U42. Following I15 from Cedar I think is boring.

John Siebold

Back