What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT governor operation?

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I'm new to CS props, and am in the process of installing the governor, and control cable. Unfortunately, I can't figure out for sure which direction is which on the governor control, so hopefully, someone can educate me.

The control lever on the MT governor is spring loaded, so it returns to one direction when there's no cable attached. Here's my question- Is this spring pulling the lever to the max rpm (fine pitch), or min rpm (course pitch) position?

FWIW, my guess is that it's pulling to the max rpm (fine pitch) position, since that would be the safest position if the cable became detached.

Thanks,
Rusty (wiring & plumbing)

Correct.
If you use VAN's bracket, it will line up the control cable appropriately. As you hook it all up, you need to make sure it, the governor arm, hits the stop on the fine pitch side of the throw, but you don't need to have total throw to make the governor arm hit the stop, for coarse pitch travel, if it doesn't quite make it all the way.

Thanks for the confirmation. I did notice that the bracket aims a bit to one side of the gov shaft, and that does agree with my original assumption that the spring is moving the gov to it's fine pitch setting.

On the O-360 (at least the one I have), the mounting pad for the gov is at about a 45 degree angle, which means the bracket will either angle up or down at 45 degrees. I've got it installed at the downward angle, since the upward option put the bracket right in front of the oil line on the back of the engine. I had to reclock the head of the gov to make it line up with the bracket as well.

Should be good to go. Thanks again.
Rusty (one too many levers)

I have the same 45 degree up-angle and haven't yet figured out what that will interfere with. The governor cannot be rotated 90 degrees and still mate properly with accessory case - unless I"m missing something. I had planned to use the bracket at the 45 up angle. How did you deal with this? Also the angled oil filter fitting on my Lycon IO-360 M1B puts the filter so close to the engine mount that it can't even be unscrewed for removal. I think it'd hit the mount with normal engine movement. Has anybody else had that problem? Did you go back to a horizontal mounting? Or is there a shorter filter that might work... Bill

I have the same 45 degree up-angle and haven't yet figured out what that will interfere with. The governor cannot be rotated 90 degrees and still mate properly with accessory case - unless I"m missing something. I had planned to use the bracket at the 45 up angle. How did you deal with this?
The head of the prop governor can be turned relative to the body of the governor. You'll have to snip the safety wires on the screws. There's directions in the prop governor manual.

If you use VAN's bracket, it will line up the control cable appropriately. As you hook it all up, you need to make sure it, the governor arm, hits the stop on the fine pitch side of the throw, but you don't need to have total throw to make the governor arm hit the stop, for coarse pitch travel, if it doesn't quite make it all the way.
I'm fitting the cable to my prop governor right now as well. This advice in the instructions made no sense to me. The attachment point on the governor arm only moves about 3/4". The cable has much more movement than that. I'll have no trouble getting the full throw and in fact will have to modify my throttle quadrant to get less throw.

Here's some pics of before/after re-orienting the prop governor head. We'll see if anybody notices what's weird about my prop governor...

Before:
IMG_4592.jpg

After (but before re-safety wiring):
IMG_4602.jpg

Bill Dicus said:
Also the angled oil filter fitting on my Lycon IO-360 M1B puts the filter so close to the engine mount that it can't even be unscrewed for removal. I think it'd hit the mount with normal engine movement. Has anybody else had that problem? Did you go back to a horizontal mounting? Or is there a shorter filter that might work... Bill

I have the ECI IO-360 in my RV8 and the angled oil filter would not work, since it would hit up against the engine mount. I bought a spacer from ECI which pushed the filter back toward the firewall. This fixed everything and it works fine. I use the short filter, but I think that the longer one would also work.

Nice pics Dave. The way yours is set up is probably the intended way, but there's an oil fitting on the engine just forward of the bracket. It looked like that would be close to hitting the bracket in the angled up position.

On mine, I rotated the bracket 90 degrees counter clockwise (viewed from the rear of the engine). You have to grind just a couple spots on the bracket to make it clear the gov body, but I don't see any problem with running it that way. BTW, I sure never found that drawing that's in your first pic.

As for the oil filter adapter, AeroSport originally sent me the angled adapter with my ECI engine, and it wouldn't fit on the RV-8 mount with the filter in place. Once on the mount, the filter can't be installed. They just swapped out the angled adapter for a straight one that points the filter towards the firewall.

Rusty

I think that drawing came with the prop governor, since I bought it from Vans. I could be wrong about that. I can scan it if anybody needs it.

Back