What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Tilt

BillC

Well Known Member
When looking at various flight instruments I see that many call out for vertical panel installation. Is the panel in a 7/9 considered vertical?

Thanks

No...

When using an artificial horizon in a 6 or 7 (and probably a 9), they have to have the 5 degree compensation since the instrument panels have the tilt,

i remember vaguely that when i was doing my panel i read somewhere that the 7 had an 8 degree tilt. thats what i ordered for my art horiz and its working fine after 190 hours. fwiw fred

8 degree

The 6 is also a 8 degree tilt, which seems to be somewhat of a standard...

I believe it's just an internal adjustment within the gyro...

gil in Tucson

Horizons without the 8 degree tilt will still work, they just won't be as accurate.

Mel said:
Horizons without the 8 degree tilt will still work, they just won't be as accurate.

Mel,
So a turn coordinator designed for a no tilt panel will still work in a panel with 8 deg of tilt? What exactly do you mean by "not being as accurate"? I'm NOT building an IFR panel but I would still like to be able to rely on the instrument. Are there any issues one should be aware of when using instruments designed for "no tilt" installed in an RV panel (8 deg)?

Thanks Much for you input

i don't believe that panel tilt has any effect on a needle and ball or turn coordinator , as they have no pitch capability, just turn rate. fred

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess it's not an issue to be concerned about, atleast for my panel. I'm going glass but want ASI, ALT, and TC to start with and will be adding a Dynon EFIS as funding allows.

Bill

Dynon and tilted RV panels.

I put the Dynon in my RV-9A instead of a vacuum system. The cost was about the same and reliability is much better. I was flying to LOE5 last year when I heard a pilot on the air-to-air frequency complain about his vacuum pump failing enroute toward El Paso.

There is a simple push-button calibration adjust on the Dynon that you can do when the airplane is LEVELED along the longerons. You have to do that when you do the weight and balance measurements. That is a good time to turn on the Dynon and calibrate the horizon line. Otherwise, you could do it when the airplane is stable in LEVEL flight with no changes occuring on the altimeter or vertical speed indicator.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ
www.n2prise.org
189.6 Hobbs Hours since June 2005

Back