What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Extra" hole in W-1006E spar extension

jchang10

Well Known Member
The plans indicate the extra hole in the W-1006E spar extension. I now realize the arrow is pointing to the extra hole in the flange, and not on the web.

Should this "extra" hole be left alone? IE, not final-drilled nor countersunk?

If so, I am finding the first few steps of the wing plans, less than clear. It would have been easy to add to the plans "leave this extra hole as-is," if this truly is the case.

If anyone can confirm whether this "extra" hole is not used at all, that would be great. Thanks!

Jae

I disregarded the hole, it has been a while. Take a look at your bottom wing skins you will see that the hole is not in them if I recall that's what I did to decide what to do about that hole. Fuselage plans get a bit more vague. Wait till you try and figure out the J-stiffeners and how they layout and get drilled. Study the plans real well and make sure your putting the right piece in place before drilling. Your gonna work on those spars for quite awhile before you get that feeling of accomplishment. More work there than you think.

Last edited:
Thanks

Rick... thanks for the confirmation. i saw that the skin lacked that hole, but doubted myself wondering why that hole would be there if it weren't required. i understand the necessity for tooling holes but had never seen an unused punched hole yet.

thanks again,
jae

Kool Jae, Glad I could help. I remember that bugging me just like it did you so now I feel vindicated! :D

Welcome to the other list as well. I like this forum cause it's usually quicker and a little easier to find archive stuff and the other RV'ers are really helpful. I hit them both most all of the time.

Back