What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sanders

captainron

Well Known Member
Any recommendations on sanders? I was thinking about a 1" belt and 8" disc combination. What are builders using?
Also, is a 9" band saw sufficient?

Thanks, and happy Fourth of July!

Last edited:
Get the wider belt

I had the Delta 1" belt w/ 5" disk for most of the project. Now I have the wide version from Harbor Freight. My frustration with the narrow belt was all those little parts you have to make from angle or bar stock. The wide belt lets you sand them to final dimension and get a flat/straight edge. You cannot do that with the 1" belt - at least I can't.

Two Essentials (to me)

To me, both my 9" Ryobi band saw (had prior) with a metal cutting blade, and my new Delta 1" Band / 8" Disc are essential. They're cheap enough that you should just get'em.

I use the band saw to rough cut all the cool parts Van has us make, followed by the disc for final shaping. I use the 1" band very little.

I finish everything up on the scotch-brite wheel, another essential. Here's a pic of the rolling bench I built for those three plus my drill press. I have a tiny shop and this thing is great and compact:

Photo_062206_006.jpg

George

I used the 1" belt sander so much, that I bought two, and use different grit's on them.

Have a 4" sander too, but used it little on the RV project.

My other favorite sanding tool, was a 90 degree air die grinder with 2" blue scotchbrite pads. Can get those from Harbor Freight.

I have a 6" belt with a 12" disk. Works friggin GREAT. I already had this before starting the project.

A 9" band saw is fine. I have the Delta model. Lowes sells a nice fine tooth metal cutting blade the cuts aluminum great.

The tool combination of band saw, belt sander, and scotch brite pad on the bench grinder produces quality parts with ease.

Thanks for all the replies- I'm just getting started with this project by setting-up my shop. George Jenson, what a great idea for a space-saving workbench! Wish I had thought of something like that, but I sure won't be ashamed to copy it!

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants

captainron said:
Thanks for all the replies- I'm just getting started with this project by setting-up my shop. George Jenson, what a great idea for a space-saving workbench! Wish I had thought of something like that, but I sure won't be ashamed to copy it!

I wish I'd thought of it :) I think I got the idea from a Tony Bingelis book or article or these forums or someone's website or...

...anyway, lay out your tools on the floor first and measure and you'll end up with the right footprint for the top. The lower shelf is big enough for my DRDT-2 dimpler when it's not in use (which is rare).

BTW, Harbor Freight has cheap, both in cost and effectiveness, bands and discs, but I've found that the pricey ones aren't a whole lot better. And for your band saw blade, BoeLube is your friend.

George

grjtucson said:
....BTW, Harbor Freight has cheap, both in cost and effectiveness, bands and discs, but I've found that the pricey ones aren't a whole lot better. And for your band saw blade, BoeLube is your friend.

George

Tell me more about BoeLube. I took a quick peek at the web and it appears to be a lubricating paste. I guess you use it like a cutting oil on a drill press, or perhaps just keep the blade coated with it?

John
RV-10 rudder done

BoeLube

johngoodman said:
Tell me more about BoeLube. I took a quick peek at the web and it appears to be a lubricating paste. I guess you use it like a cutting oil on a drill press, or perhaps just keep the blade coated with it?

John,

Exactly! I suspect it is mostly paraffin. I dip drill bits in it, touch it against the band saw blade periodically, and even use it when using a fly-cutter. It definitely helps the tools cut better and cooler.

George

Love Mine!

captainron said:
Any recommendations on sanders? I was thinking about a 1" belt and 8" disc combination. What are builders using?
That is exactly what I have, and I love it. At first I considered it to be somewhat of a luxury item, but now, I use it all the time and can't see how I could go without it. I often use it for rough deburring before the scotchbrite wheel. I like the combination of the 8" disc for the big stuff, and the 1" belt for detail work. I bought a selection of sander belts of different grits for it and I swap them on and off depending on what I am doing.

Here is the one I have...
sander.jpg

At the recommendation of another builder, I sometime take off the metal plate behind the belt. This allows the belt to flex and get into corners it couldn't otherwise. Like this...
060115_003.jpg

As usual, YMMV. Good luck and happy building!

Back