What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9A Tow Bar

Bogi-Bar

I got the Bogi-Bar from Bogart Aviation and it works great!

Bogi-Bar

bogibar3_large.jpg

chuck sold his rv-8a. I'm looking for a towbar right now.

WADR-- I like the lighter cheaper ones ACS sells. I'm looking for one that will fit the front allen socket head, which is about a 1/2".

anybody else doing this?

bogi-- jaws open enough?

well, I'm thinking of getting a bogi too. just realized that they have an RVA model. ?

the ones on their wall don't seem to open nearly enough for the wheel pant. about 7.5 to 8 inches IIRC

anybody know the measurement with the jaws open? obviously more than enough for a wheel pant? Don't want to scrape me paint on the pant.

thanks, mark

I got one from Wag Aero that works fine around the wheelpants. I think they still sell for about 40 bucks, yet. It's their RV-A model.

Roberta

mark manda said:
well, I'm thinking of getting a bogi too. just realized that they have an RVA model. ?

the ones on their wall don't seem to open nearly enough for the wheel pant. about 7.5 to 8 inches IIRC

anybody know the measurement with the jaws open? obviously more than enough for a wheel pant? Don't want to scrape me paint on the pant.

thanks, mark

Yes it is enough to clear the wheel pant.
The current 4-RVA models open to 9.5" +/- .25" and are designed to rest at 5.25" when closed. Very early models of this towbar may only open to 8.74" which (at that time) was enough to clear the wheel pant. The RV10 opens wider yet... 10.375", and closes at 7.25". The taildragger style 4-RV is much slimer - maybe that is the one on Spruce's wall?

Hope that helps!
Many thanks to those of you who took the time to mention your Bogi-Bar.
Climbing on Course,
Cathy Bogert

PS. Bogert is working on a modification that will reduce the needed force required to open and close the bar.

;) Existing Bogi-Bar owners willing to "test" the modification and provide feedback & photos should contact Bogert Aviation via email [email protected] for more information. ;)

hi cathy,

great to hear from actual owners.

I bought the bogi bar from ACS but haven't used it yet.

Man, it takes some getting used to.

the reason I like the Wag aero is because of the easy spring action. It has a spring.

the bogi takes force because it works with a wish bone type mechanics, right?

It's not the force to lock it in place (open) that worries me; it's the snap acting release that worries me. My buddy started bending on the arms to get it to flex more and I stopped him. "Thanks but put my bogi bar down."

but like I said I'm a customer, although I'll be interested in checking out a 10 bar too.

mark manda said:
hi cathy,

My buddy started bending on the arms to get it to flex more and I stopped him. "Thanks but put my bogi bar down."
Must have looked like something from a strong-man competition? :D

You are right, the release is what Bogert is addressing at this time. We've sold tons of these towbars, and nearly all people have very favorable comments on the returned questionnaires. However just a few so-so comments have promted this project.

Wishbone design is great and most of the models don't have much pressure when releasing the tension but the wider it must spread... the more tension on the wishbone, thus the more pressure on the release. Atleast that is the very simplified version.

Cathy

I'm just trying to figure out how to get my towbar to work with my nosewheel pant installed.
Looking at the photo in the previous post, it appears that you have somehow extended the allen screws that hold the U-713c brackets so that they extend out through the wheel pant.
Is this what most folks have done? I suppose the other (more unsightly) option is to just drill holes in through the wheel pant big enough for the towbar to slip inside (assuming the sockets on the towbar are long enough to reach in through the wheelpant to engage those allen head screws?) ?

I use the $40 Wag-Aero tow bar. The bar slips over those SHCS through 3/4 inch holes drilled through the aft nose wheel fairing.
My hangar bud has a Bogi bar for his 6. It is a nice well crafted piece of equipment but it costs $80. I get tow bar envy when I reposition his plane. The Wag bar works ok but the handle is kinda floppy and I lost the handle push pin once.

Back