What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Have I Been Burned on a Rivet Squeezer?

cstanley

I bought an old but operable Chicago Pneumatic rivet squeezer on e-bay. Now that it is in, the dies that go with it appear to be too big. I can change the yoke no problem. The question is whether I can change the piston. Is it possible to buy a new piston that is the correct size to fit through the smaller yoke openings for the appropriate dies, or do I chalk this one up to a learing experince?

Give Fred at Clear Air Tools ((888) 777-1650) a call. He is the most knowlegable person on squeezers that I've found.

Call or email Fred Kunkel at Clear Air Tools: [email protected]
(888) 777-1650.

He knows about these things & overhauls them.

However, offhand, it sounds like your dies are the wrong size. Is the squeezer a CP 214? If so, you have the right squeezer & the wrong dies.

Sounds like you got one with 1/4" holes instead of the more common 3/16". You should just be able to replace the yoke and the piston. I think the set holder (piston that goes through the yoke) can be replaced with an adjustable one (with the 3/16" hole) for about $65 from Avery, Brown, etc.

As for you old yoke, have the hole welded up and with a bit of machining or grinding, you got youself a "no hole" yoke for those tight spaces!

Back