What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SEM EZ Coat

Pmanf4

I recently spoke to an SEM Tech Rep and inquired about using their Self Etching Primer for the interior surface of the tail kit. The Tech Rep mentioned, unlike the Self Etching Primer, their EZ Coat product will provide a higher level of corrosion protection because it acts as a "top coat". He recommended using their EZ Coat product and not the Self Etching Primer.

I know there has been much discussion regarding the primer topic ( and I don't want to spool up another primer thread).

However, I'm wondering, has anyone used the SEM EZ Coat product?

Last edited:
My experience with SEM EZ Coat so far is positive. I can't remember where I learned about this product, but the recommendation was the same as you heard. I bought a couple rattle cans to test with. So far I have used it only on my tank attach brackets, the left wing leading edge ribs, and the LE joint plate.

Product applies very smoothly and I can report appears very tough. I had already painted the brackets when I drilled the tank rib/baffle/bracket holes. I took a Scotch Brite pad to the brackets to clean the burrs created from drilling. I was surprised at the force required to even scratch the surface of the finish. The burrs came right off.

One other data point . . . EZ Coat seems to go on thicker than I'm used to with etching primer. That could be just my own over application of the product, but I had proud nutplate flush rivets on my joint plate after priming. I had to slightly countersink the paint in the dimples to get the rivets flush again. I'll watch for that thickness factor in future applications.

Seems like this may indeed be a good alternative to the etching primers, but I'd like to hear what other experiences there might be with the product.

David,

Thank you for your reply. I'm wondering, did you "prep" the surface before you applied the EZ Coat, or did you simply spray the product directly on to the surface?

Seems to me, since EZ Coat has good adhesion and will act as a top coat, its properties seem beneficial over a self etching primer.

I'm hoping some others will offer their experience with the EZ Coat product?

Regards,

Mike

My prep has been the same for my use of an etching primer and EZ Coat:
Scuff surface with Scotch Brite; clean thoroughly with MEK; wash parts in Dawn bath; rinse thoroughly; dry completely and do not touch surfaces with bare hands until paint is dry.

Sem

I used SEM self etch primer on almost all of my
Airframe interior. I also used the easy coat. My experience
Is that it seems rare for the self etch to come off
On the other hand the Ez coat does not seem to bond
As well. Best to test it yourself. 2 part epoxy primer
Is the best in terms of duribility and coating. Ie. Wing steps,
Tip up Roll bar, decks etc. you can have the epoxy
Color matched to the SEM primer. DuPont epoxy. All this material
From pro autobody supply.

My experience with SEM EZ Coat so far is positive.
One other data point . . . EZ Coat seems to go on thicker than I'm used to with etching primer. That could be just my own over application of the product, but I had proud nutplate flush rivets on my joint plate after priming. I had to slightly countersink the paint in the dimples to get the rivets flush again. I'll watch for that thickness factor in future applications.

I have seen this referenced a few place but I am unclear on what the processing of “slightly countersinking the paint” looks like? Is it just using a countersink cage to remove the pain from the hole?

Back