What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best place to park/stay overnight in Sacramento area?

patterson

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi All,
I'm planning a trip to Sacramento this weekend and am wondering which airport I should choose for overnight parking, lodging, fuel, etc.
Ron
RV-4 N8ZD

Depends somewhat on where you are going and what you are doing. The air carrier airport at SMF has an FBO ramp, will probably be pricey, but will have all the amenities and is about 10 miles from downtown, about five miles from the nearest hotel. SAC Executive is just south of downtown and is the main GA airport...services set up to handle you with advance arrangements but you probably want to go downtown for lodging. LHM (Lincoln) is northeast and would be convenient to Roseville or Rocklin but probably not alot in the way of services other than fuel. AUN (Auburn) is a good bet for GA friendly but probably 40 minutes from downtown Sacramento on I-80. Good restaurant for breakfast and lunch though with local lodging in a Mother Lode setting. There is also Rancho Murietta on the east side...and Cameron Airpark on the east side...not familiar with what they offer. Nothing at Franklin Field on the south side, at least the last time I was in that area. Expect hot this weekend.

Last edited:
Cameron Park O61

I have a place to park the plane, our fuel prices are usually the lowest in the area, and I have a car to loan for transport to a motel.

Send me a PM if interested.

I fly in and out of McClellan (KMCC) often to visit in-laws. If what you want is around there it is very easy and not at all busy. No fees, no tower, 10,000 feet of runway, good FBO, very competitive gas prices ($5.33 last time I checked) and close to interstate 80. Most folks seem surprised that it's not still an air force base.

All that said, it's hard to beat Mike's generous offer!

All best

Jeremy Constant

I really loved Cameron park, but it's been almost 20 years since I visited there. It seemes to be a perfect air park to me. They didn't have space for any more airplanes, but the post above should take care of that.

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who gave me information on SAC. My friend lives 10 minutes west of McClellan and will pick me up. They don't charge for tie downs as long as you buy some gas, so have decided to park there. Mike, thank you for the offer...I might take you up on that next time if it's still available :)
Ron

Back