What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chuck Ross Gone! Seems unreal!

PerfTech

Well Known Member
.....My very good friend and long time flying buddy, Chuck Ross was killed about 7 p.m. Saturday 5/12/12 when he crashed this small experimental ultralight aircraft in Whitewater Canyon, about one mile north of Interstate 10, close to Palm Springs, Ca. This spot is notorious for high winds, freak currents, violent up and down drafts, rotors Etc. Many pilots, myself included have been humbled by this spot. The winds at the time were reported to be 27 gusting to 40 and most likely played a part in this terrible event.
.....Chuck was the lone occupant in this M-Squared two place airplane that he used for flight instruction. He was a long time respected resident of Lakeview Ca (a rural area about ten miles north of Hemet Ca). He built and maintained his private airport affectionately referred to as "Chuck Ross International" there on his ranch where many of us kept and used our ultralights. Chuck was fifty years young, a very accomplished pilot with many years of experience and thousands of hours of flying and instruction. He performed in several movies and did stunt work with his airplanes. He designed and built several planes and was always there to help anyone who was in need or ask for his expertise. He was a long time, prominent member of our very large flying club, "Ultralight Squadron of America" based at Perris Ca. Airport.
.....His hundreds of friends, associates, students, family and all who knew this pillar of the aviation community will never forget Chuck, or the way he touched our lives.
obj449geo252pg13p5.png

Knowing Chuck, I am pretty sure he is up there now trying out his new set of wings.

Last edited:
Allan,

Sorry to hear this sad news about your friend. My condolences to his family.

God Bless

Very sorry to hear this, Allan.
I'm familiar with the area, those winds can be very treacherous.
My condolences.
Doug

-4, Seattle area

Sorry to hear this.
I met Chuck a couple of years ago at Osh, I enjoyed listening to him talk about his adventures over dinner each night. As a student Pilot you hang on to those life lessons shared by such aviation enthusiasts.

A great loss

Allan,
my sincere condolences to his family, you and all that knew him.

Chuck sounds like the kind of guy that many in the aviation community will miss.

I know the area you are describing. Maneuvering speed is a must some days.

Chuck Ross

...Members that knew Chuck or anyone wishing to express their sympathy to Chuck?s mother and family may send cards or thoughts to Caroline and Chet Jesmer at the following address:
Chuck Ross Family
44725 E Florida Ave
Space 183
Hemet, CA 92544

...There will be no memorial service for Chuck by his family at Chuck's request. He wanted to be cremated and his ashes spread over his farm and airport. The flying club that Chuck belonged to will have a memorial and fly-by for Chuck at the (Perris Vally Airport Ca.) field in June.
...Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Regards, Allan
Chuck.jpg

Back