What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Wrench

Don

Well Known Member
I've notice a lot of the smaller bolts need to be torqued in in/lbs, not ft/lbs. I've got a couple of nice ft/lb torque wrenches but nothing calibrated in in/lbs and I got sticker shock looking at Snap On, NAPA, and Sears (my local Home Depot didn't have any - or care that they didn't for that matter). When I found them they were over $200 - Harbor Freight has one on sale for 17.99 but I'm leary of it. While the price is great I'm wondering how good the accuracy is - especially since my behind will be flying the bird. Even on e-Bay the name brand items are selling for over $100. Is there a more affordable alternative that's accurate or do I need to bite the bullet and fork over the $$$?

Don

90702 Fuselage (bending longerons)

if its in ft/lb and you need to go to in/lb, just do the math conversion, 20 ft/lb x 12 is 240 inch lbs. but the problem is sometimes the torque wrench isn't calibrated that low so you might have to bite the bullet and get a 1/4 " snap-on torque wrench anyway

Sears Craftsman for $64.99

This is the Sears Craftsman I'm using and have been happy with it.

It is no Snap-on but then again I'm only building an airplane with it. ;)

Bill--I've got the same wrench, exactly. At low torques (ie 25-30 in.lbs.) I don't hear any click, but the joint just below the ratcheting head flexes slightly. Is that when I've reached the proper torque?

Thanks,
Steve

I got my 1/4" inch pound torque wrench from Avery. $65.00. It is the click type and goes from 20-200 in. lbs. It is a very nice accurate wrench.

Roberta

alpinelakespilot2000 said:
Bill--I've got the same wrench, exactly. At low torques (ie 25-30 in.lbs.) I don't hear any click, but the joint just below the ratcheting head flexes slightly. Is that when I've reached the proper torque?

I've got the Craftsman wrench as well. That's exactly what it does. The head flexes a bit at the correct torque.

Dave

Glad to search and subsequently find this post. I bought the Craftsman model tonight, but screwed up and bought the FOOT # model instead of the INCH # version. Guess I'll be motoring back out there in the morning to exchange it :mad:

I got a real nice little inch pound torque screwdriver from Aircraft Spruce. It lets go instead of clicking when the proper torque is reached. Don't recall the price, but it is real handy.

Steve Zicree
RV4 Finishing

Back