What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-purchase planning and other stupid questions

fpeebles

These questions have probably been answred a million times but.. :confused:

I am hoping to order my RV-10 empennage kit this fall. I just wanted to know what else I need to plan during this time. For example do I have to make the decision on which autopilot I'm going to want now so that I can get the appropriate servos?

I'm hoping to budget in attending some kind of workshop between now and then to get familiar and confident with the abilites I'm going to need to assemble the aircraft. I am definatley going to take George and Becki Orndorff's sheet metal class since I am only a couple of towns over from them (Krum.) If anybody has taken their class please let me know your thoughts.

To make matters worse I am just starting my flight training. Has anybody else been building before they were even rated?????

This was a dream that my father and I shared for years but he lost his eye sight before he could start on his project and since I'm coming up on the one year of my dad's passing I want to do this for both of us. I still can't wipe the grin off my face from a couple months back when I first got to fly an airplane. I had worked on my soaring ticket as a kid but this was unreal. Sorry droning on but figured I need to introduce myself along with the questions.

Thanks!

Hi Frank... Trust me you have bigger fish to fry just getting started as opposed to deciding what autopilot and such to outfit your new A/C with. You can almost have the entire emp, fuselage and wings done and then decide what avionics to actually purchase. Make valuable use of your spare time in between building to learn all about this stuff. I?m a first time builder with 0 time as well and the only thing I wished I had done sooner is started building about 10 years ago (not really I heard the kits are much easier to build now ;) ) If its your dream, don?t wait, dive in with both feet! Welcome and good luck!

-Jeff

Frank,
Any decisions about the autopilot or other avionics are quite a ways off. In the RV-10 the pitch servo mounts in the forward part of the tailcone, just aft of the battery. If you go with a TruTrak autopilot the pitch servo mount comes with the fuselage kit. When you get to the wings it's easier to mount the roll servo before putting on the bottom skins but it's certainly possible to put the servo in after that. Feel free to call or email if you've got other questions.

Bob RV-10 #40105 (plumbing the engine)

bob.condrey "at" baesystems.com
402 651 0402

Frank,
I ordered the RV-10 Emp kit in Oct 2003 and started flying lessons Dec 31 of 2003. Got my PPL in March of 2004 and I am still building. Wings are almost done and Fuselage is almost there. Still waiting on the engine. We didn't even think about an autopilot until a year and a half into it. You will have plenty of time. Good luck! If it's a nice day out go flying! Save the plane work for crappy days and evenings!

Frank;
There is merit to your thinking about the autopilot now, but do so only for planning purposes as technology is moving so quickly that the autopilot you are looking at today may very well be obsolete by the time you're ready to install it.
For now, begin by building your RV-10 in your mind with everything you'll want, Engine (210, 260 maybe a 300hp?) instrument panel (glass or analog, or both?) position and landing lights (LED?) etc. Once you have an idea of your RV-10 consider the costs of tools, space, time and where you'll do it (Garage?) after all this you'll know the costs associated and what you can expect. The Sheet metal class is an excellent start, get on forums and read what current builders are saying and discussing about the RV-10. If you take this project one step at a time it will be an excellent experience, worry about the empennage and getting setup for now and everything else will eventually fall into place.
Pascal

I just ordered my tail kit for the 10 two days ago. I too have been working up to this for about 3 years. I just finished setting up my shop, and believe it is something you need to think about. I spent more money than I thought about because I did not have the tools that now I believe are necessary

Not necessary, you say? Hogwash. The other thing I just did was go through the EAA RV builder's class at Spruce in Corona, Calif. Checkoway taught the class, and he was great. (www.rvproject.com) Everything we did was with hand tools except the drilling. We did a little sample rudder section that incorporated a lot of the techniques you'll use. The class showed me: 1) The stuff is not that hard, 2) While not hard, it would be infinitely easier and quicker with the power tools (belt sander, band saw, drill press). While I'm not too concerned about quicker, I am concerned about easier, because the easier it is, the higher quality product I'll ultimately turn out, and 3) While the stuff is easy to do, I had no metalworking background, and doubt I would have figured out all the little parts by myself without some fairly painful lessons.

Bottom line; power tools are good, the class is probably a must.

Back