What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Running Ethanol with AFP?

JordanGrant

Well Known Member
A friend of mine said that the AFP people are working on (or already have?) a mod that will allow the use of AGE-85 ethanol with the IO-360s using their system. Does anyone out there (especially you guys at Airflow Performance) have any more details on that project? Sounds very interesting, especially if you can get AGE-85 for less than $4/gallon! (can you? I have no idea.)

We have been working with South Dakota State University on that program. Basicly if you can get the fuel, the fuel injection system can be calibrated to operate with AGE-85. You'll use about 25%-30% more fuel at WOT with this blend. If your system is calibrated to run with the AGE-85 and you wanted to run AVgas you would have to lean the mixture to get proper operation.

Don

running Ethanol

I don't know about the AFP system, but there is a well known aerobatic pilot/professor at Baylor that has done a lot of research on running Ethanol in injected Lyc engines. I saw a presentation that he gave that included his record setting trans-Altantic crossing running Ethanol on the crossing, but I don't recall his name at the moment. He flys at aerobatics at air shows running Ethanol.

Age-85

Found this about AGE-85 in RV Hotels.

Madison - MDS
Pearson, Dick - 605.256.4157
Any RV pilots traveling through this part of the country are welcome. We live on Lake Madison, Madison S.D. Identifier-MDS Have plenty of room and hangar space. I have an RV 3A and an RV 6A which I built. Both powered by AGE-85, (aircraft grade ethanol).

Dave Wolles
9A finish

Back