What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PPG K36 finishing when not painting now

jwyatt

Well Known Member
PPG K36 finishing when paint will be after flight

Currently working on fiberglass all around, tips, canopy and cowling. I have sanded the glass, sprayed PPG DPLF and K36, filled remaining pinholes, and sanded smooth. What, if anything, do I need to put over this, if I do not plan to paint the plane until later -- talking 1+ years later here. Can I leave the K36 as is, or should it be topcoated with something else as a sealer until paint can be applied?

Of note, this would be for exterior fiberglass only; the cowling interior will be epoxy sealed and sprayed with a 2-part white finish. Also, I want to avoid anything that will hamstring a pro painter later and make it harder to fix any of my amateur mistakes.

I swear I've seen the answer to this here before, but a couple hours of searching and reading were fruitless...

Thanks ~

Last edited:
You're good

You can leave it as is. You or your painter will need to scuff before paint primer is added.

K36

If you have some DP epoxy left; topcoat with that... it's a bit tougher than the K36, and more resistant to water, oil, etc. By the time you get around to sanding it for paint it will be fully dry and won't clog the paper. Plus it's a nice guide coat against the gray urethane...

Brad Simmons
Airframes Inc.
Milan, TN
www.airframesinc.com

It would be good to cover it.
I would use epoxy primer mixed as usual, but you can add some reducer to the mix which turns the primer into a sealer, which is more resistant to absorbing oil and fuel, etc.
You will have to scuff beforepainting.

If you have some DP epoxy left; topcoat with that... it's a bit tougher than the K36, and more resistant to water, oil, etc. By the time you get around to sanding it for paint it will be fully dry and won't clog the paper. Plus it's a nice guide coat against the gray urethane...
Brad Simmons
Airframes Inc.

All of what Brad said.....and Steve.

Thanks, all. Sprayed a topcoat of DPLF tonight, and it turned out plenty well enough for this first-time amateur. The darker gray is an aesthetic benefit, as well. I think I've gained enough courage and understanding to tackle finishing the cowling.

Back