What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport recommendations near Pensacola - Spring Break

Flying again!

Well Known Member
I am flying down to Pensacola on 10 March for spring break with my wife and 2 children. Even though I am retired Air Force, I can't land at the NAS unless I have business there. So I am looking for somewhere near Pensacola NAS to fly into and keep my -10 (preferably a hanger :)). We plan to stay about a week with a possible side trip to Orlando for a couple of days.

Thanks for any help or leads.

Pensacola Aviation

KPNS is home to Pensacola Aviation, a great FBO. We have been hosted there for the past couple years during the Pensacola Beach Show and they have treated us great. They have handled our RV's with care. Not sure about the hangar situation. Give them a call.

I have been into ferguson

quite small family run. Hangar space doubtful but call them.

There is an enterprise (I think) nearby on Military highway that gave me nice service - picked me up and let me drop the car at Ferguson.

It is nearly under the NAS Sherman pattern.

Don't miss the museum!!

Thanks for the info...

Looks like Ferguson is the place to go...will give them a call.

Also, how difficult is it to get throught the Eglin/Tyndall airspace to head to Orlando from there? I see there is a course for Special Air Traffic Rule, FAR Part 93 Valparaiso Terminal Area (ALC-47: Destin/Eglin AFB FL Part 93 Operations). How big a deal is it to fly through the East-West corridor and any advice?

Thanks

I have flown the east west corridor many times. Look for the Blue Angels TFR, talk to approach. Not a problem. I usually fly it at 1000 feet to gawk. keep your eyes open, pretty busy area, especially around PNS and Destin.

Thanks Alton,

It looks straight forward but there is a lot on the charts in that area! Keeping my fingers crossed for good weather so I can fly it rather than drive 11 hours.....uggh.

Fly The Beach

I have flown the route many times also," Fly The Beach", ask Pensacola departure if you can fly the beach, they usually will approve the route with hand off's to the appropate other controllers. The Beach is a lot more senic than the corridor, inland, route.'s I usually fly the beach to Cross City VOR then south to Ocala VOR, to Orlando 2hrs 15min +or- in my 8.
Dick

+3 on Ferguson, althought I haven't landed there since the 90's. Used to be a good place :D

If PNS doesn't kill you in landing/ramp/fuel fees, it's not bad. You'll just have to fight with Gulf Breeze traffic getting out to the beach.

We had an EAA fly out from 0J6 to Ferguson. We all landed and tied down. The FBO hauled us all to the naval museum and then came and picked us up when we were done. Didn't charge us a dime and no one bought fuel (160 mile round trip).

Back