What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

two dozen clamps?

borislav

In section 3 "Tools and Workspace" of the manual, it says:

C-Clamps: About 2" size. One to two dozen needed.
What are these for? Yeah, you can never have too many clamps, but this sounds like it was meant for a particular task. Or is it a leftover from the non-prepunched days?

Thanks,
Boris
-7 empennage

I think your right. Old school. I used a lot on my 6, and none on my 8.
Side grip clecoes are about the only clamps I can think of that I used on my 8. I have about 7 of them in total.

No doubt someone building the latest kit like the 10 will chime in and tell you they could not build with out 50 clamps.

I survived unscaithed with none.
Best,

Different clamps for different purposes. Consider a dozen of the 1" grip cleco clamps, three or four C-clamps with a 2-3" grip and 1 1/2" or more throat, and some really big, Spanish-inquisition-like C-clamps to hold big things, like spars to your work bench (which does have a clamping lip around the perimeter, doesn't it?).

Then, two dozen, at least, of the glorified clothes pin-like spring clamps for fitting the canopy (and useful elsewhere). If you don't have the plexi clamped hard all around the frame, you stand a real good chance of the drilled holes mismatching and cut edges not winding up where you intended.

You can't have too many clamps. Immobilizing the workpiece(s) is very important for accurate, precise work.

John Siebold

I agree that there is no such thing as too many clamps--2 hands just don't cut it in a lot of cases. Variety is good (and necessary) as well. I've used the clamps so many times, even on the pre-punched 9, where I would have made mistakes had things not been clamped down. Just buy a few different kinds, see which work best for you, and then go buy some more of those as you build. Good luck.

C-clamps are GREAT for when you make the cabin frame. You cut out some MBF board around the two sections and clamp 'em down while you make the two strips, drill and eventually rivet.

I used about two dozen in combination ( mostly 2"), and my frame didn't expand or shrink a bit. Came out great.

I also found c-clamps to work great (I used large ones) when ProSealing on the SafeAir1 static ports.

And a bunch of different tasks here and there. Highly recommended here.

Back