What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon MAP Sensor Install Location Help

jmitchell

Well Known Member
Good day all,

I'm looking for some advice on the installation of the MAP (Manifold Pressure) sensor that came with my Dynon D120 EMS kit.

The Vans MAP sensor is supposed to be (ideally) above the point on the engine the pressure is taken from (typically the No. 3 cylinder primer port) and is supposed to be placed behind the firewall away from heat and moisture. But the Dynon D120 installation manual (Page 3-5) has little guidance on the proper location and or orientation of it's sensor telling the builder to simply "mount the manifold pressure sensor in a secure fashion using the mounting holes on each side of the sensor".

There is no recommendation from Dynon to mount the sensor with the hose input nipple pointing up or down, or if it's suitable to be mounted in front of or behind the firewall.

I decided to fabricate a bracket and mount it on the forward side of the left hand gear tower. I have it oriented with the hose nipple facing up, but left enough wire to be able to invert the sensor so as to point the hose nipple down. The sensor is lower than the primer port on the engine though.

I'm hoping someone might be kind enough to offer solid advice based on this particular sensors documentation (it's an automotive pressure sensor, and no specs or docs came with it) or real life experience with it's installation location.

Thanks kindly in advance.

MAP%20Sensor.jpg

hmm

I put mine up on the firewall. I saw no.reason to put it inside the cockpit since that would mean bringing the manifold pressure line through the firewall. I figured running wire was easier than running thehose. I also need to branch off the manifold line. or the P-mags.

Cheers

Same with us, on the engine side of the firewall. Vendor says it is ok to place it there. Sec used braided line to engine mount and ran tygon tubing to the unit. Works fine.
Phelps

It's fine on the hot or cold side of the firewall, and any orientation is fine. I guess we didn't mention anything in the manual since we truly didn't care where you put it!

Thank you!

Its a great thing when a manufacture responds to these Forums. It goes a long way when deciding what company to go with (or stay with) for subsequent projects!

Thanks again!

I mounted it on the engine mount tubes, with two adel clamps, right behind the #3 cylinder so my hose is less than a foot long. I also shoved a cigarette filter down inside the rubber hose to dampen the air pulses and give a smoother reading... it was kinda jumpy without it.

Back