What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tip up canopy lock - How to?

JCN247DE

Well Known Member
Any new ideas on a tip up canopy lock from the others building the coolest style RV canopies? (had to say that )

Jeff

very easy solution

Drill a hole in the part of the latch handle that sticks outside the airplane. Drop a padlock through the hole when you want to lock the canopy.

Works great.

-Clay

That's what I did. I was gonna use a lock cylinder, but I did not have the heart to drill holes in my new paint. The padlock is easy and secure.

Roberta

I haven't installed a lock but I made provisions for one by cutting matching longitudinal slots in the upper and lower angles (and UHMW tape) before I riveted them to the fuselage. If I decide to install a lock I will cut a matching slot in the latch itself, then install a cam lock so the arm pivots into the slot through all three "layers". I made the slots toward the front of the assembly, between the rod attachment and the catch bolt where the latch is widest.

That being said, there isn't any lock that will keep out certain individuals that are determined to get inside for whatever reason. The issue then becomes how much damage they will do to the ariplane in the process of breaking in. I think the damage potential is a bit higher with my described setup than say, the other setup with the lock outside. Just wanted to make a full disclosure, and in fact I'm still on the fence myself as indicated at the very beginning of my post.

Jim

Last edited:
Tip Up canopy lock

I'm using the flush canopy latch from Robbie Attaway, www.attawayair.com
and am trying to figure out how to lock it. He has a six and there is a little bit of difference in the fuselage that allows for a key type lock.

For those not that far along, consider his latch. It is a few ounces heavier but looks very cool and has a very secure "snap" when closed. Same mounting hardware just a wider spread. I've got pictures of mine if anyone is interested.

Darwin N. Barrie
P19

Funny.. I was just looking at this last night on my plane. I ordered the ignition switch from Van's that came with the two door/baggage locks.

I think I've decided to install it along the side of the canopy frame near the aft edge, just in front of the canopy lift angle. The lock arm will swing down through a slot in the canopy deck. I'll cut a slot in the arm to 'catch' the canpoy deck when locked.

I tried to figure out a way to install it near the canopy latch angle but the lock arm wasn't long enough and the lock would have interfered with the lower C-712 angle. I think you could get this area to work right if you planned ahead and install the lock at the same time you installed the latch mechanism stuff.

Just my .02 worth. Here is a picture of what I'm planning on doing:

http://www.n523rv.com/finishing/P3170051.jpg

Locks

The best way that I have found to lock the RV6 and RV7 tip-ups is to drill a hole in part of the latch that protrudes outside of the cabin and put a padlock thru it. It can't be opened without taking the lock off first. Using a combination lock you don't have to worry about loosing your keys or forgetting them somewhere.

Back