What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light speed plasma II plus getting hot

tclaire

I am having the light speed II plus box getting hot and cutting in and out,
The box is mounted on the cold side of the fire wall it may run for several hours then it may start getting hot you can smell it getting hot and then it starts cutting in and out it never trips the 5 amp breaker, I can pull the breaker and run on the mag side and everything runs find, I have sent the box back to klaus twice and he said everything is find, he did do a upgrade to it but it still does it, we also replaced the coils. The system has about 800 plus hours on it and it worked great for several years it has ben intermit the last several hours, it has a halo sensor. I had my a&p mechanics look over also with nothing found.
Any feed back would be great help
Tim

Our Plasma II also got hot at about 300hrs. Mounted inside against insulation on firewall with maybe 1/8" airspace. It got hot enough to melt the decals off the box. We sent it back to Klaus who upgraded it & suggested more airspace between it & the mounting surface. We now have a 1/2" space & cooling fan on it.
On further reflection, we also had a coil problem at about the same time, one of the spade connectors on one coil disintegrated causing arcing & charring, I assume more resistance thru the coax lead, maybe this added to the heating up problem?...
Still working fine at 900hrs.

Our Plasma II also got hot at about 300hrs. Mounted inside against insulation on firewall with maybe 1/8" airspace. It got hot enough to melt the decals off the box. We sent it back to Klaus who upgraded it & suggested more airspace between it & the mounting surface. We now have a 1/2" space & cooling fan on it.
On further reflection, we also had a coil problem at about the same time, one of the spade connectors on one coil disintegrated causing arcing & charring, I assume more resistance thru the coax lead, maybe this added to the heating up problem?...
Still working fine at 900hrs.

I'll double check the coil connectors I have also added a cooling tube to the box which does not help
Thanks

Ralph,

I also had connector issues with the cripped connectors to the coils, replaced them and silver soldered them, no more issues. I could actually see the burn marks in the connectors from the arcing. The terminals where factory from Lightspeed and installed correctly. This problem will eventually burn up a part in the box.

Last edited:
Back