What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Delta Hawk

ddnebert

Well Known Member
I am intrigued by the www.deltahawkengines.com offering of a line of diesel/Jet fuel powered engines, with discussion that they are anticipating the RV-10 as a customer. It appears that the price, power, and efficiency are a good compromise (except for those wishing to exceed 201mph in an IO-540 with butterfly gills). The company seems to still be getting things in shape with order delivery imminent, so I wonder other than the delays and uncertainties with a newer company, what the issues might be to adopting this powerplant? Anyone else considering the Delta Hawk 200?

Doug.

I've heard that there are many empty promises on this engine..they've been talking about delivery for years now..I wouldn't hold your breath!

ddnebert said:
with discussion that they are anticipating the RV-10 as a customer.
I'm curious where you heard that they're anticipating the RV-10 as a customer. Everything I've heard is that they're more interested in the UAV/government market. I'm considering them, and Oshkosh will be the deciding factor for me. As much as I hate the idea of using a lycoming, I'm starting to get tired of waiting on DH.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

PJSeipel said:
I'm curious where you heard that they're anticipating the RV-10 as a customer. Everything I've heard is that they're more interested in the UAV/government market. I'm considering them, and Oshkosh will be the deciding factor for me. As much as I hate the idea of using a lycoming, I'm starting to get tired of waiting on DH.

PJ
RV-10 #40032

Deltahawk is ready to move into production. They are one of the few alternate engine styles to get to this stage. The first production units are being shipped. That is a sagnifigant milestone. The only worry I have about them is the high initial cost.
Bill Jepson

DeltaSaur

PJSeipel said:
As much as I hate the idea of using a lycoming, I'm starting to get tired of waiting on DH.
I love the irony. The attraction AND DESIGN of the DH is to be EVEN MORE ancient and simple than the "hated" Lycoming.

The only fly in the ointment is liquid cooling, a necessary evil for this particular engine configuration.

DH is PURPOSELY just like the old, boring, ancient, simple, antiquated, non-electronic, mechanical Lycoming

ship said:
I love the irony. The attraction AND DESIGN of the DH is to be EVEN MORE ancient and simple than the "hated" Lycoming.

The only fly in the ointment is liquid cooling, a necessary evil for this particular engine configuration.

DH is PURPOSELY just like the old, boring, ancient, simple, antiquated, non-electronic, mechanical Lycoming
Yeah, but a lycoming doesn't burn jet fuel. That's the major attraction for me.

What similarities?

ship said:

I'm a little cornfused as to what's "just like" a Lycoming, other than the fact that both designs are old. They both burn stuff? Diesels and gas engines don't have much in common other than converting heat to motion through pistons and a crank. Non electric? OK, I'll give you that one, partially, though the diesel could conceivably run without any electricity at all. Honestly, other than better materials and induction systems (mostly thanks to computers), have we really made many changes to ANY internal combustion engines in the last hundred years? They still go round and round and make me smile when I hear them.

On a somewhat related note, did anyone else see that Cessna had tested diesel engines but had trouble with the spiky power pulses fragging props? That could be hard on a nice shiny new engine cowling, not to mention the motor mounts, ouch. :(

flyingdefinescontent said:
Diesels and gas engines don't have much in common other than converting heat to motion through pistons and a crank.
really? except for fuel type and ignition source, they're identical....as are all piston IC engines.

have we really made many changes to ANY internal combustion engines in the last hundred years?
nope. my point exactly.

On a somewhat related note, did anyone else see that Cessna had tested diesel engines but had trouble with the spiky power pulses fragging props? That could be hard on a nice shiny new engine cowling, not to mention the motor mounts, ouch. :(
SMA diesel. also installed in a Maule test bed.

ship said:

Ya know the funny thing here is that darn thing sure is ugly..it's very ancient looking, too boot. It looks like something pulled out of an old john deer tractor!

pbesing said:
Ya know the funny thing here is that darn thing sure is ugly..it's very ancient looking, too boot. It looks like something pulled out of an old john deer tractor!
Different strokes for different folks!

pbesing said:
I like the looks of it. "runs like a Deere". My neighbor's 55 yr old Deere farm tractor has run virtually every day since 1951 on a hay/corn/cattle farm.

comparing DH to a Deere motor is the highest compliment. :cool:

Ok ok..point made. John Deere isn't the best analogy (or is it?) I was simply making a point that it looks even more antiquated than a lycosaur.

I could just see being stuck somewhere and asking for help at an FBO..."What the heck is that thing?" "Sorry pal, can't help!"

pbesing said:
Ok ok..point made. John Deere isn't the best analogy (or is it?) I was simply making a point that it looks even more antiquated than a lycosaur.

I could just see being stuck somewhere and asking for help at an FBO..."What the heck is that thing?" "Sorry pal, can't help!"

Guys,
I just couldn't help but jump in here. What an engine "looks" like and the technology used are TOTALLY different items. First: Looks are totally subjective. OK you guys like fins. I like fins on a '57 chevy, but not my engine. Like I said, totally subjective. With reguard to the prop issue the Deltahawk engine is, wait for it... a 2 cycle diesel. Twice as many power pulses closer together but smaller. Probably less taxing on the prop than a Lyc. The technology used in the DH is NEW. Modern casting techniques, modern metalurgy, and a very compact design. The inverted engine will be the winner with the thrust line in the right place for tractor configurations. If you have never built something the development time seems long, but it isn't for a small self-funded effort. You can buy a engine for delivery now, with delivery about 8 months out. These guys are on track, and will be certified later. I am not a DH buyer. I already have my engine, even more "alternate" then the diesel. If DH succeeds in their certification effort there is no reason the insurance shouldn't be reasonable as well. I'm looking at the engine from the perspective of a mechanical engineer and I believe they have done a pretty good job. What they need to get on with is FWF packages, if they want to succeed. The mil-drone or RPV market will likely saturate pretty quickly. Selling to the military is not a sure way to success. Certifcation and selling to OEM's is. My 2 cents.
Bill Jepson

geeze...you people need to relax...I simply made a statement that it is ugly and ancient looking...I never once mentioned anything about technology in the DH engine, nor said anything derogatory about the engine's performance.

It's amazing how the police in this environment come out of the woodworks when someone simply shares an asthetic opinion.

My opinion still stands! The darn thing is ugly, and personally, I wouldn't have one!

Back