What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Barrett 6 Cylinder Electronic Ignition

rgbewley

Well Known Member
Brent Regan of Regan Designs and Barrett Precision Engines, Inc. have teamed up to develop an electronic ignition for the M14P Radial engines overhauled by BPE. The 9 cylinder version is currently being dyno tested.

We have determined that we will make the system available to the six cylinder Lycoming and TCM experimental market place.

Below are a number of features/benefits of the system:

The Zeus Aircraft Ignition System Zeus Aircraft Ignition System is designed to replace a conventional magneto ignition system. The Zeus system consists of:
? Timing Controller
? SmartCoils
? Warning Status Indicator
? Low Tension Harness
? High Tension Wires
? Spark Plugs
Like a magneto, the Zeus system is self-powered from idle to maximum RPM. The Timing Controller replaces the magneto and uses the same drive and mounting hardware. The Timing Controller also has a P-Lead that inhibits operation when connected to airframe electrical ground. Unlike a magneto, the Zeus system delivers full spark energy at minimum RPM and can
vary the spark timing based on RPM and Manifold Pressure to achieve significant fuel savings at cruise power settings. This is accomplished with individual proprietary solid state High-Q magnetic triggers and MEMS sensors.

There are no springs, centrifugal weights or diaphragms to wear or fail. For starting, the timing is retarded to after top dead center and the coils are fired
multiple times per stroke to aid in poor mixture situations. The SmartCoils have internal electronics that receive separate power and a trigger command from the Timing Controller. The Timing Controller has a high efficiency power supply that provides a solid 14 volts to the SmartCoils even at low cranking voltages. There is one SmartCoil per plug. No energy is wasted on firing a ?dead plug?.

The Warning Status Indicator is a simple LED that gives the pilot a direct and immediate indication of the system status. The Low Tension Harness is factory fabricated to MIL Specifications and connects the Timing Controller to the SmartCoils and to the aircraft. The High Tension Wires are low impedance low EMI helically would type that connect the SmartCoils to the spark plugs.
The spark plugs can be aircraft or automotive type. Optimum gap is 0.035?.

The system will not be available for four cylinder engines. Please contact BPE for additional details.

GREAT!!!!

Rhonda, thanks for the update.

I am glad you have decided to move forward with this, I remember talking to you about it at Oshkosh.

My Lasar ignition is still doing fine, but at the first sign of a problem, out it goes.

Obviously the system has proved itself just fine on the M14.

Hi Rhonda,

We have a BPA 540 engine in our Extra 300L with 10 to 1 pistons.

1) Can this ignition be configured for higher compression Lycomings?
2) Is the timing curve "user adjustable" ?
3) Have you tested HP output?
4) Is this system designed to be used in conjunction with one conventional mag?

I recall reading in the CAFE reports (if I read the study correctly) that the conventional "dual mag" made just slightly more power than the dual electronic ignition setup.

Back