What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Terry Cole Has Departed

dav1111

Well Known Member
Terry Cole of Lubbock, Texas, RV-6A builder of N468TC and currently building an RV-10 departed this earth this morning with a heart attack. Terry was an inspriation to many RV builders and his RV family will miss his so very much.

Terry was the most giving, loving, helpful, all around good guy as I have ever known. His departure will leave a deep void not only in the life of his wife, Mickey Cole, but in the life of almost everyone who ever meet Terry Cole. His wife Mickey of 12 years tells a story about their first date. An EAA chapter meeting!!

Terry built his RV-6A in a big workshop behind his house and during the construction he had serious back problems and one of his best friends, Jeff Church, came to his rescue and helped Terry get N468TC finished and flying. Jeff Church is now building an RV-6 in the same workshop behind Terry's house that N468TC was built in, and Jeff is at the finishing stage with his engine mounted.

When Terry decided to build an RV-10, he told me (a fellow RV-10 builder) that even though he was starting an RV-10 project, that he would never as ask Jeff to give up the workshop and Terry built his RV-10 Emp/Tailcone at overnight house in Childress and when he got to the fuselage stage started building it at his airplane hanger. That was the kind of guy Terry Cole was, he thought of others first.

Terry's services will be on March 9, 2005 at 2:00 p.m. CST and I know that Terry would appricate each RV'er thinking of him as he is given his last goodby.

To say that I was proud to have known, flown with, and been a friend to Terry Cole is an understatement. I only hope that I can one day reach the level of kindness, goodness, and giving that Terry Cole exemplified.

Russ Daves
N65RV (RV-6A Sold)
N710RV (RV-10 QB fuselage stage)

I am very saddened on the loss of a great person and RVer...If you could post details and where to send condolences, I'd appreciate it Russ. I just talked with Terry a few weeks ago, and you just never know what tomorrow brings. Rosie

Rosie said:
I am very saddened on the loss of a great person and RVer...If you could post details and where to send condolences, I'd appreciate it Russ. I just talked with Terry a few weeks ago, and you just never know what tomorrow brings. Rosie
Here is Terry's obituary from LubbockOnline.com, Rosie. I like you can hardly believe he's gone. I got an email from him not two weeks ago.

Terry E. Cole

Funeral services for Terry E. Cole, 52, of Lubbock will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday, March 9, 2005, at South Plains Church of Christ with Jim Brewer and Ralph Beistle officiating. Interment will be in Slaton's Englewood Cemetery under the direction of Englunds Funeral Service in Slaton.

Terry was born April 7, 1952 in Santa Fe, N.M. and he went to meet his Lord Monday, March 7, 2005. He graduated from Weatherford High School in 1970. He served a tour of duty in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War. He was a diesel electric locomotive engineer with the BNSF railroad for 25 years. He was a member of South Plains Church of Christ. Terry married Mickey Mason Miles Feb. 14, 1993. He was a pilot and a member of the Experimental Aviation Association.

Terry is survived by his wife, Mickey; daughter, Tobi Bounds of Clarksburg, W.V.; sons, Carl and Rusty Cole, both of Salida, Colo.; stepson, Barrett Miles of Houston; stepdaughter, Sherri Smith of Wichita Falls, Texas; father, Paul Col e of Weatherford; brothers, Lee Cole of Austin and Curtis Cole of Clarksburg, W.V.; and sister, Carol Duede of Lubbock; three grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.

The family will have visitation from 6 until 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at the funeral home.

Services and snail mail

Services for Terry will be at South Plains Church of Christ, 6802 Elkhart, Lubbock, Texas, 79424 on March 9, 2004 at 2:00 p.m. Terry and Mickey Cole resided at 8010 Chicago Avenue, Lubbock, Texas 79424.

Dave/Gray (guys out in Lubbock)

My condolences to everyone out there. Terry was a great guy, and besides only having spent time in person with him a handful of times, I considered him a good friend.

Jay Pratt and I are planning on flying out from Dallas Wednesday to attend the church service in Lubbock.

Can anyone out there recommend the appropriate airport? I assume it's KLBB, but if there's something closer to the church....

I plan on renting a car.

Still bummed out beyond belief,

My husband, Ken, and I were so deeply saddened to hear that Terry passed away yesterday. What a terrible loss for all of us who had the privilege to know him and call him a great friend. We first met Terry and his lovely wife, Mickey, at a Fly-in near Waco, TX about four years ago. He was giving rides in his plane and I asked him if he could give Ken a ride. Ken would never ask himself, not wanting to impose, but was so glad that I did. It was late in the afternoon on a hot summer day, and Terry was probably exhausted from all the rides he had been giving all day. But he was so generous and giving that he eagerly agreed to take Ken up for a short ride. Ken had been toying with the idea of building a plane, and wanted to see what it was like flying in an RV. So Terry took him up and from that moment on, Ken was hooked on the idea of building his own RV. In the years since, Terry has always been helpful in answering questions and offering advise whenever Ken had questions for him.

Terry was the friendlist and nicest person you could ever know. His personality, laughter and sense of humor were infectious, and he spread happiness and fun all around him. We always looked forward to seeing him and Mickey at every Fly-in we attended. He always had funny stories to share and was just an all-around great guy. My heart goes out to Mickey and the family for the immense loss they have to endure. Our thoughts and prayers are with them and we will always remember Terry for the wonderful, fun-loving person that he was.

Terry, we will miss you

Good by Terry. We are all diminished to some extent by your passing. Glad to have made your acquaintence and friendship for the relatively short time.

Doyce Graham

Terry Cole

It's been a busy week and certainly a difficult week for those who personally knew Terry Cole. I never met him, but I almost did. In 2002, my son and I visited the Texas RV Fly In near Waco, and I remember seeing his RV there. How could you miss it with that patriotic paint job? I probably have some photos of it in my 35mm photo files. Today is Friday and after a busy week at work, I 've had a little time to do some reading. I just happened upon Doug's Travel Stories where I noticed Terry had posted three stories of his RV adventures. His writings reflect a man who thoroughly loved life, aviation and all of God's gifts...including his wife. Even though I didn't know him, I feel I would have thoroughly enjoyed being around him. Thank you Terry Cole!

His stories can be found at

http://www.vansairforce.net/flyins_pictures_stories.htm

Don Hull

I miss my friend.

Terry Cole was a wonderful friend of mine, and I'm proud to have had him as a friend. I just found out of his passing and my heart is very heavy and my sadness is immense. I can only echo the superlatives previously posted about him; he was the nicest, friendliest, gentlest, most giving and caring man I've known. Every time I was in town, I knew I had a place to stay and great airplane conversation.

I'll always treasure my memories of driving together to Copperstate '99 and flying to OSH 2000 in 468TC with him. I learned a lot about airplanes and homebuilding from him. It seems like yesterday I was helping him with "The Flag", as we called his RV-6A. I'll never forget being upside down with my feet hanging out the cockpit as I assisted with installing fuel lines. He was always encouraging me to get after my Cozy and to do something every day on that project. I looked forward to getting updates from him on Jeff Church's -6 and his -10.

The RV community has lost a great ambassador and enthusiast. My condolences and prayers go out to his wonderful Mickey. She?s in good hands with all their friends in Lubbock. Godspeed to you, Terry, and we miss you terribly.

Terry Winnett, Capt, USAF
RAF Lakenheath, U.K.

Back