What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Spar Repair

B

bz0tlp

Is it possible to repair oversized rivet holes by Heli-arcing them closed and redrilling them? Would it be prudent?

Ed Hershberger
Wings

No! Do not weld on the wing spar, you'll change the hardness of the metal. How much oversize are the holes? If they aren't too big, you may be able to get the rivets to fill them when you set them. You may have to use longer rivets than the plans call for.

Doubler Plate

Also, depending on the nature of the problem, you might consider using a doubler plate. I had countersinking problems (pilot drifted) on the bottom side in the outboard most bay. I flush riveted a doubler plate (same thickness as the spar flange). It worked out fine. Can't tell its there unless you look inside the bay.

Next size rivet

If it's a rib-to-spar rivet, or something that won't show, why not use the next larger diameter rivet? Or two sizes larger? Much more conservative than welding the spar...

Or, you can make your own "oops" rivet by taking a longer rivet of the same diameter and pre-squeezing it. It will get a little fatter and fit the hole better.

Just my (amateur) $.02

Best of luck,
Tom

This is what I needed to know. I have not ruined any holes, but looking at the spar I am worried that I might mess up. Thats just me. Thank you to all that have replied to my question.

Ed,

Take your time and go slow. There are a bunch of countersinks in the wing flanges. I made it a point to do them in several sessions so I didn't get complacent and mess one up. The depth of the micro stop is pretty critical. Test the depth on scrap until it is perfect for either the dimple or rivet depending on what your countersinking for. There are several fixes for rounded or bad holes, the best fix is not messing one up in the first place. Biggest cause is setting the micro stop too deep, the cutter starts to open the hole that the pilot is guiding and in a split second the bit wobbles and your too big and deep. :eek: :mad: I found my battery drill worked much better than the air drill. It cuts slower and is less apt to chatter. Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Back