What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

canopy taxi position lock??

szicree

Well Known Member
I'm hoping I can get some ideas and/or pics of a way of propping my canopy partially open for taxi ops. I know that many folks have an extra set of holes in the panel and rear bulkhead for this, but my construction is well past that point and I'd rather not re-do that stuff. I'm thinking something on the side of the roll bar perhaps? Pictures anyone? Thanks.

OK Steve, I am going to try to attach a picture of setup I figured out after building my "Bandit". I don't like the support in the front and back as the canopy is too long to carry all the weight at either end. My idea supports the canopy in the middle with a slide pin that doubles as a safety catch inflight. My next thread will have the picture....

Rob Ray

Canopy Latch

Steve,
Here is the latch I installed on my -4. The latch has the following features.
1. It automatically latches so that as you lower the canopy it latches without needing to find the proper height of the canopy.
2. It unlatches by using the same canopy handle (from either inside or outside of the plane) so that changing position is the same action as latching in the fully closed location.
3. The latch on the canopy and pin in the rollbar required no welding or unusual equipment.
I have operated the canopy in the intermediate position over many field conditions including grass, and find it's operation fairly straight-forward and robust. Maybe this will give you some ideas. I have also seen Rob's latch and it accomplishes the same task in a simple straight forward manner.
Enjoy.

Hi Steve...Finally figured out how to upload pictures...My latch is fairly simple for my simple mind, works very well. Thanks to DR for the upload instructions...enjoy!

Questions?

RR

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php

Sliding Canopy for RV-4?

Has anyone seen this sliding canopy on the RV-4? A buddy told me about it this week and said that there are a few out there.

Mike Fouts

The sliding canopy has been installed on 3 RV4's I know of. All three had to build a ventral fin in front of the rudder that doubles as a slide track for the canopy. The RV4 fuselage is too short for the canopy to totally uncover the back seat when slid aft without hitting the rudder. Back seaters have to do gymnastics (more than usual) to get in. One of Van's huge challenges on the RV8 was the sliding canopy engineering and the fuselage is longer to help.

My first question on converting an RV4 would be why add time and effort? Second would be why add extra weight? Third...why mess up a pretty canopy and reduce your visibility with a bow across your head?

The F16 doesn't have a canopy bow either...
RR

PS: Very nice RV4 Doug, where did you get the idea for the unique paint scheme...? :)

Doug,
Now you've set the bar even higher.... very nice ship!!! Your photos are a treasure trove of details.... Thanks for posting them.

Bill Freckman RV4
Grapevine, TX

copyoflatch021qb.jpg
[/IMG]
copyoflatch015uf.jpg

copyoflatch038ji.jpg

This is the method I picked up from an RV4 bldr from Platte Valley, Colorado.
It does require welding a washer onto a short piece of steel tube that goes over the spring.

Jeff

Paint and RV-4 stuff

Actually I am really going to date myself and tell you that my paint scheme is Van's "old" RV-4 paint scheme that was very popular in the early days of the RV-4. I modified it using a basic idea that Randy Lervold used on his really nice RV-8. So actually it probably is closer to Randy's -8 that anything. The colors are from a Cessna 180 that I restored back in the mid-80's.

RV-4 with a sliding canopy!

My RV-4 was built in 1995 with a sliding canopy (as well as retractable gear). It is wonderful in the heat of summer when I taxi with the canopy slid back to the first detent. I do have the dorsal fin and I like the way it makes the airplane look. The canopy slides aft with the rear of the canopy attached in the dorsal fin. The rear headrest also slides back with canopy. It does go back far enough to allow easy access for the rear seat passenger and has never been a problem.
The visibility is great just as any RV-4. You just learn to look around the bow. It has never been a problem. Also, I see another RV-4 here at Arlington (KAWO) with a slider. His is very similar to the way that the RV-8 canopy is attached and it looks clean and neat. I believe that are a lot more than the three that was quoted. Paul Best RV-4 N66PB

I've tried to attach a photo but it rejects my photos because of file size.

Canopy taxi position lock

For Smokyray,

I really like your "kiss" approach to construction problems--especially your taxi position lock pin. After studying your pictures, I was wondering if you would change anything after having flown it so long this way. Particularly interested in the plate(s) that you attached to the canopy skirt cross member. I thought at first that it might be overkill until you posted the pic showing your actuator was also attached to it.

Also, do you think that a spring on the pin would facilitate usage?

Thanks for your help.

Bones
RV4 N21MH

Bones said:
I thought at first that it might be overkill until you posted the pic showing your actuator was also attached to it.

Bones,

I can't seem to find this pic; where did you see it?

lean on me...

Steve, The picture is on page 1 of the thread after my 2nd post. Bones, to answer your question, yes I thought about a spring after several folks pointed it out to me. The reason I didn't use the spring is I like the free movement and ease of sliding it into the hole, sts. Inflight it slides aft providing a canopy safety latch of sorts in case it came open inflight or at high speed on the ground. Hope that helps, I like simple too...

RR

Back