What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cracked Oil Filler Tube

mquam99

Well Known Member
Over the weekend I was installing the baffling for my io-320 and noticed there is a crack in my oil filler tube. It is not noticeble unless you twist the tube like you were trying to remove it. My questions are this

1. can I seal the crack with something (JB weld, proseal etc)
2. Is replacement a better idea
3. any suggestions on removal, my tube is well secured at the base

thanks in advance

I agree

I agree with you.. One question, looks like my engine builder installed the tube with a sealant to keep it from going anywhere.. the sealant is red in color

any suggestions on how to loosen that sealant to remove the tube??

Probably best to fix it now

Just a couple of thoughts - if you do a temp repair, there's a chance you're going to wind up stranded somewhere. As to the red stuff, hopefully it's not RTV - but a little hard to tell you what it might be.

In any event, take some care removing the tube: a) you don't want to break it off near the base with some of the threaded portion still in the engine case and b) you don't want plastic and / or residue from the sealant dropping into the engine.

Dan

not good

trying to remove this thing is an issue. It looks like the gasket was attached to the case with some adhesive.. its red in color. the tube will not budge at all. At this point I have to remove this and replace it, but no luck at all so far.

I am thinking some heat might help but not sure at this point

any other suggestions?

trying to remove this thing is an issue. It looks like the gasket was attached to the case with some adhesive.. its red in color. the tube will not budge at all. At this point I have to remove this and replace it, but no luck at all so far.

I am thinking some heat might help but not sure at this point

any other suggestions?

Are you sure it isn't safety wired to the crankcase? Mine is.

Photo

Here is a photo of the tube. you can see the red sealant on the gasket

2011-11-07_20-28-22_530.jpg

looks like locktite red. apply a little heat to the case area and it should loosen up.

OR call your builder and ask him, what it is? and how to remove it?

Is this a certified engine? if not, just make you a new one... been done many times. JB weld has also worked for many for 1000"s of hours, plastic... not a lot of stress here if you wire tie tight at the base. :) Buy a new one? Well, bend over!!!!!!!!!! BTW... it should be wired...

Last edited:
experimental

the motor is experimental.. However, I have now just about destroyed the tube trying to get it out. heat did not help, I am wondering if wome sort of solvent would do it.

Acetone, gasoline, wd-40?? I have an email into my builder also to see what was used on the tube so I can try to remove it..

The tube is gonna run me about $70 or so.. I am willing to pay that for aesthetics if nothing else..

I am starting to get frustrated with this. One step forward and 5 back lately it seems..

any other suggestions would be great, otherwise I will post whne I hear from the builder.. thanks for all the help

I agree

I agree with you. I will have to talk to him tomorrow.. the fact that the tube was sealed with adhesive and not wired is weird. we'll see how that goes

talked to my engine builder

the gasket was sealed with loctite.. His recommendation is to heat the case with a small torch and take the time to just twist the tube out. I will try that tonight and see how it goes..

thanks for all the suggestions

the gasket was sealed with loctite.. His recommendation is to heat the case with a small torch and take the time to just twist the tube out. I will try that tonight and see how it goes..

thanks for all the suggestions

gee, who woulda thunk it.;)

SUCCESS!!

Well I got it out, albeit in 3 pieces. But it came out clean at the threads with nothing left in the sump. Woohoo!!

I used a hand held torch to heat the area slightly (recommended by my engine builder) and used a pipe wrench to wrestle it out..

thanks for all the suggestions, now I just have to find a replacement

No-one seems to have mentioned it so far, but the Superior filler tubes I have seen are metal rather than the Lycoming plastic.

You might want to consider one of these...:)

Back