What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rocket Propeller Options

I have an HR2 with IO-540-C4B5 in the basic configuration--no performance mods other than Airflow injectors.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations regarding the differences between the Hartzell two-blade HC-M2YR-1BF-F8475/D-4 and the MT Propeller MTV-9-B/198-52 (with the aerobatic governor)?

I am most interested in climb and cruise performance differences and the general maintainability and servicability of the MT propeller.

Thanks!

I think the Hartzell 8068 is a better choice than the MT. Personally I think the smoothness of an MT is overblown and have generally found that they vibrate just as much. Clocking the prop differently will have a greater effect on smoothness and the 8068 now comes with the counterbores in the right position for the prop to be clocked horizontally with #1 on TDC.

Last edited:
As of an email this week, Hartzell engineers are recommending DHC-C2YR-1BFP/F8068D with the M2YR hub extension for rocket owners.

MT v Hartzell, again....

I have an HR2 with IO-540-C4B5 in the basic configuration--no performance mods other than Airflow injectors.

Does anyone have experience or recommendations regarding the differences between the Hartzell two-blade HC-M2YR-1BF-F8475/D-4 and the MT Propeller MTV-9-B/198-52 (with the aerobatic governor)?

I am most interested in climb and cruise performance differences and the general maintainability and servicability of the MT propeller.

Thanks!

The MT prop you mention is not their 'aerobatic' version, so it won't work with the 'aerobatic' governor. You want their MTV-9-B-C/C198-52, which is the counterweighted version, if you want to flip-flop around with a higher degree of safety.

The Hartzell DHC-M2YR-1BFPX/F8068DX*1/SM8, which is their blended airfoil 2 blade in silver/white tips is a very good unit, not counterweighted tho.

You can do aerobatics with any prop, but for severe flip-flopping, a counterweighted unit is better. The MT will put smaller stress loads on your crankshaft, too. So, figure out what your mission is 1st : more aeros, or more cruising, and the decision is easy to see.

I have flown both, and the Hartzell is at min 10MPH faster when you turn the RPM up (RENO, baby!). At low RPM economy cruise, there isn't that much difference, but that was the exact design point for the MT when it was developed for the Rocket (2100RPM @10,000MSL).

I did not notice any difference in climb when changing from the MT to the Hartzell.

The MT is the King of Smooth, for sure. ;) The 2 blade Hartzell is very smooth for a 2 blade, so don't count it out either.

Serviceability: the MT is probably more expensive to repair, but then again if you hit something with the MT, your engine will likely survive with no damage. One owner had his dog run thru the hangar and take the tip off his MT, causing a trip to the prop shop - I don't know what that cost, but I know he clocks his prop with one blade pointing straight up now as an 'anti-dog measure'.:eek:

Maintenance: you will grease the Hartzell yearly (piece o cake); not possible with the MT as it has no Zerk fittings, so it has a 5 year TBO for the lube process. You can file the leading edges of the Hartzell if you ding it, but the LE on the MT is stainless, and it laughs at small rocks that will chip the Hartzell.

Up-front costs are quite different, of course.

Installed weight is within 8 oz., if you use a composite spinner on the Hartzell.

This is not the whole story by any means - contact me off list for further info.

f1boss (at) gmail dot com

Carry on!
Mark

Back