What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thermocouple connections

Ant CB

Hi all,

I've got an MGL TC-3 and am in the process of wiring the supplied DB25 and thermocouples.

The shielded wire that was supplied to extend the EGT probe has a wire core that is too big to wire into the cups on the back of the DB25 connector. The thermocouple K type Chromel wire won't tin so keeps coming out of the cups even when I went overboard with the soldier as an experiment. Also the insulation under the shielding is fabric and is very fragile and tears away easily allowing the two wire cores to bridge.

How have others done the wiring for these setups? Has anyone has similar experience or is it just me?

Also, can I use bayonet or spade connectors to connect the wires from the CHT or EGT probes to the wire extension?

Here's a photo of the terrible soldiering job for your entertainment. ;)

I have grt eis6000 and all cht/egt probes are connected with male/female spade connectors. On mine the "shielding" is non-conductive ss for heat and abrasion protection for the first 18" or so.

Pretty sure you don't have to connect that outer braid at all. For the DB25, I'd either replace it with one with non-solder pins or solder in tails & use butt splices. Uglier but solid.

Back