What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tru-Trak servo direction (right wing)

Scott Will

Well Known Member
I have a Pictorial Pilot in my panel. Just wondering if the servo needs to be reversed when installed in the right wing?? Easier to do the wire swap now than later.

Thanks for your help!

You won't know until you power the autopilot up and test it. Here's an example of why...

I installed a 3.125" Digitrak. Wired it according to the diagram. It worked out of the box with the per-diagram wiring.

Upgraded to a 3.125" Pictorial Pilot. Plug and play. Worked fine with no wire swapping.

Changed to a 2.25" Pictorial Pilot. The servo now operated backward...needed to swap the wires. Why the difference? I have no idea.

Swapping the wires was trivial. I made the swap at the connector to the autopilot, not the servo. Yet another reason to use crimp pins instead of solder cup D-sub connectors (imho).

Last edited:
Thanks Dan... mine are crimped pins so no hassles there. And another reason to have a tip-up! I was just curious to know if things like this were standard and it seems not so. Very interesting.

I've already messed around with the harness to add a 2nd GPS input (switched) so I'm familiar with the procedure to change the pins around.

If you use one of the harnesses supplied by us or TruTrak, you'll notice that there is a small "loop" of yellow wire that comes out of the AP connectors. We put it on every harness we build, so that if the servo is in fact running the wrong directly, you just reach in a snip the loop - and the servo is now reversed. Easy Peasy!

If you are wiring up your own harness, I'd recommend putting that jumper in there, and leaving it exposed so if you need to reverse it, then you just clip the wire.

Cheers,
Stein.

Back