What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Langley BC fly-in (June 24th), stacking the deck

vlittle

Well Known Member
I'm the acting MC for this year's annual Langley (CYNJ) fly-in near Vancouver, BC.

It's a casual low-key affair, with a minimum of walkin' and a lot of talkin'. Van's aircraft will be in attendance and will participate in our builder's seminar.

The fly-in is open to all types of aircraft (not just Vans), but usually the RVs dominate.

I'd like to invite our neighbors to the south to attend. We've had many American registered aircraft attend previously. We have some informal builders' seminars that welcome your attendance and participation. In previous years, the late Eustace Bowhay provided a great deal of wisdom. We are sorry that he is no longer with us, and we will attempt to fill his large shoes with knowlegeable panelists.

This year, I'm issuing an informal challenge: We've asked Vans to bring the RV-9A to this years' fly-in. I fly a 9A as well. I'm challenging all of the RV-9/A pilots out there to attend in order to swamp the number of short wing RVs that attend.

Since the 9/A is such a great cross-country aircraft, we can fly them all in from long distances, line them up, and make the rest of the RV family jealous.

Long-wingers unite!

Hope to see you there... all types but especially the 9/A.

Vern Little
FMI Langley Fly-In

Darn. My plane is not quite done. I'll be there next year to help tilt the balance toward the short-wingers. ;)

Vern says -

Since the 9/A is such a great cross-country aircraft, we can fly them all in from long distances, line them up, and make the rest of the RV family jealous.

Long-wingers unite!
--------------------------------------------------
Vern I hate to be negative, - however with those long wings obstructing the view "long-wingers" are having trouble seeing ground check points, this causes confusion and navigational errors and they often arrive at the wrong destination.
I predict a 5 to 1 advantage for "short-wingers" who are much better navigators. And whomever is spreading the rumor that the short wings fly like Tri-pacers please cease!

George in Langley BC said:
Vern says -

Long-wingers unite!
--------------------------------------------------
Vern I hate to be negative, - however with those long wings obstructing the view "long-wingers" are having trouble seeing ground check points, this causes confusion and navigational errors and they often arrive at the wrong destination.
I predict a 5 to 1 advantage for "short-wingers" who are much better navigators. And whomever is spreading the rumor that the short wings fly like Tri-pacers please cease!

Hey George, just to prove my point... to get your 6A to the fly-in, you have a challenging 1000 foot taxi over some mean bumps in the pavement. I hope Wx doesn't keep you in the hangar :).

I't well known now that VFR pilots really don't have to look at the ground anymore. With GPS's and autopilots, we can fly hundreds of miles with computerized preczion, preccison, precition.... as long as we can spell the waypoint properly!

V

Back