What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Central PA

Spindrift

Well Known Member
I've got a company in Central PA that is recruiting me for what could be an interesting position, and my wife's family is in Allentown, so she's excited about the idea. However, after almost 20 years in Oregon, I'm pretty spoiled by: big mountains with lots of snow to play in, spectacular summers, mild winters, EAA Chapter 105 (Van's "Home Wing"), a great (albeit small) house with a 15 min commute to work, and 30 min to my hanger, etc.

That's not to say everything is perfect! Any commentary on the area from those that live/have lived there? What are the best GA airports (closest to the company looks to be KLHV in Lockhaven)? Where are the nice, but not over-the-top, neighborhoods/towns?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Central PA rewls

You will love Central PA. Very low population density with state and national forests covering most of the central part of the state, especially north of interstate 80. Lockhaven airport is, or should I say was the original home of Piper aircraft, and the factory still has a museum there. Lycoming engines is located about 25 miles from Lockhaven. Lots of interest in General Aviation around here.
Our summers are great with mild temps and Fall is really beautiful. Winter sucks but thats coming from someone who doesn't like snow anymore.
If your into cultural stuff then the place to go is State College. I teach there and its a great place to live (Penn State). Also probably has the best public school system if you have kids.
If you have any other question just PM me.
-Vern

Back