What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When did Blue Mountain start using Windows on their systems?

mdredmond

Well Known Member
Just curious - does anyone know when Blue Mountain started using Windows on their Lite/Sport and EFIS/One units? There was a thread on their message board some while back where Greg said "...since we arent running windoze, i dont have a wealth of usb support for standard drives...".

But as far as I can tell, they are using Windows now and I'm wondering when/why the change of heart...

Why do you think they're running Windows?

I talked to the the lead programmer at Sun-n-fun. I'm an embedded developer myself so we talked quite a bit about what goes on inside of the units. He said that currently they're running DOS (although they're basically just using the bootloader) and they're migrating to rt-linux because it will ease their certification process. From what he said, Windows was no where in the picture.

Last edited:
I'm a developer too (I tell you this only to explain my curiosity). I'm not sure if their executables are windows apps or not - I was poking around in one of them and saw imports from the Windows API. Not sure. Also - for their terrain mapping, they are using efis.dll written by pcAvionics - this is definitely a Win32 .dll and likewise contains lots of imports from the API.

I probably poking further than I should but like I said, I'm just curious.

Windows? Just say no ...

Nope, we know better. There is a Windows-based EFIS out there, but rest assured it's not one of my designs. All BMA EFIS products are based on a Unix-like OS. It's essentially a microkernel I wrote back in the late 90's.

Dunno where you got your info, but I can safely say the only Windows code in my plane in the luggage bay. :)

-Greg

Back