What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Instrument instruction

wjnmd

Well Known Member
My new glass panel is being built as I write this. Dual Garmin G3X, Garmin GTN 650, Trutrak GX Pilot autopilot, VP-X Pro, Garmin GTX 23 being installed by Stein, et al. After I install it, I plan on beginning my instrument training. My question is this: How much instrument training can be done in an experimental airplane that really has only one piece of equipment certified for IFR flight ( GTN 650 )? Can I get all the training but not take the practical portion?

Thanks

I've done some hood time with an instructor in my day VFR rv6a. It seems like you can do quite a bit of the IFR training without a full set of IFR instruments. I mean, the first thing they want to do is to start taking instruments away anyways. :D

Not all instructors are willing to give dual in an experimental home built.

A GTN-650 is all you need as far as nav gear is concerned. You can shoot tons of different approaches with that.

You will have no problem training for and using your instrument ticket with that panel.

If the examiner is willing, a 650 is all you will need for the practical as well.

For the practical test you will need to do three different type of approaches (GPS, ILS, VOR or?) so the plane that you will use for your practical test will need to accommodate that. Also partial panel is another requirement that they fail some of the system and expect you to fly under instrument with partial instrument. So you will need to practice all of those type for your exam but there is much training for IFR that can be done without them that is beyond just approaches, one of those is getting used to just reading and interpreting instruments.

My suggestion would be to take instructions and practice in the plane and equipment that you will be flying.

My new glass panel is being built as I write this. Dual Garmin G3X, Garmin GTN 650, Trutrak GX Pilot autopilot, VP-X Pro, Garmin GTX 23 being installed by Stein, et al. After I install it, I plan on beginning my instrument training. My question is this: How much instrument training can be done in an experimental airplane that really has only one piece of equipment certified for IFR flight ( GTN 650 )? Can I get all the training but not take the practical portion?

Thanks

Bill,

What have you configured in your panel for back-up flights instruments? When you do IFR training, (and for the check ride) you will need to show partial panel proficiency... (not to metion what is your plan if the G3X fails while in IMC?)... The dual G3X screens are both fed by one ADAHRS. I currently have the same dual screen G3X with autopilot including the Garmin 420W... I have installed the Dynon D10A as my back-up flight instrument...

Victor

Back