What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help from SoCAL

R.P.Ping

Well Known Member
I'll be flying from Phoenix Deer Valley into Van Nuys on 5/19 and the first call I made to one of the FBOs they wanted $50 a night for tie down.

Does anyone have any suggestions for an FBO at Van Nuys or if not, how would Whiteman Airport do. I really would prefer not to pay more for a tie down than I would spend on fuel for the trip.

Thanks

Roger Ping
RV-9

Wow...I thought that VNY wasn't letting experimentals land there. Have they changed their mind?

Jamie said:
Wow...I thought that VNY wasn't letting experimentals land there. Have they changed their mind?

Sorry, Roger, to take this a little off topic, but can a public airport discriminate against experimentals?

See AOPA article here

Pertinent Text:

The Van Nuys Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) has prohibited experimental flight tests and normal operations (Phase 1 and Phase 2 flights) at Burbank, Van Nuys, Whiteman, and Santa Barbara airports.

Oh yeah, sorry about the thread hijacking.

Van Nuys does prohibit phase 1. This got a lot a press a few months back. They are currently not restricting (and never did I believe) other than Phase 1 at this time. Whittman is a great little airport that is RV friendly (lots of them based there). Don't know about services however (rental car and such). They are part of LA County Airports and charge $5 per day tiedown.
Depending on where you are going in LA there are many airports to choose from.

So Far....

I called Van Nuys Airport operations and they were not aware of any restrictions. I also called FSS and they were also not aware of any restrictions, no TFRs or NOTAMs. They suggested a call to any FSDO for info. I have a call in and will update with the info when I get some.
Thanks for the tip on Whiteman so far.

Aviation...go figure.

I just got off the phone with the SDL FSDO and they have nothing on this. I told them to log the call so I could prove I had the ok after I was arrested. :D

RP

Last edited:
Jamie said:
...The Van Nuys Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) has prohibited experimental flight tests and normal operations (Phase 1 and Phase 2 flights) at Burbank, Van Nuys, Whiteman, and Santa Barbara airports...
This issue has been 'beat to death' on SoCAL threads by SoCAL RVers...Fly your experimental into Burbank, Van Nuys, Whiteman, and Santa Barbara airports at your leisure; no worries, no questions, no problems . You may want to check with Enterprise Car Rental as they sometimes will do local pickup/drop-off. Have a great trip! :D Rosie

PS: Check too with Enterprise near Santa Monica (SMO) as SMO is not far at all from Van Nuys (VNY).

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks David. I called sky Trails at Van Nuys and they charge $8. per night. First night waved if you purchase fuel.

They also have SSF for $4.05/Gal with AOPA discount.

Thanks again.

Roger

Last edited:
I'd pay the $50 which gets you a spot underneath the wing of Tom Cruies's P-51 or one of his planes! :)

An acquaintance says his plane has been down at VNY at a radio shop for six mos. for a simple radio and TXP IIRC; they told him they were going to finish the job now that Tom's plane was near completion.

Back