What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drat, I don't get this plumbing stuff at all

MSFT-1

Well Known Member
I bought a new Andair FS20-3 fuel selector valve when I was down at Sun N' Fun. The very helpful guy at Andair's booth assured me that I had the right fittings for my RV-8 (flying).

Today, I went out to the airport and took the existing Van's fuel selector valve out of the airplane. After a few minutes of head scratching it was clear that I didn't have the right fittings.

I don't want to have to replace the fuel lines and I prefer to not make too many bends in them. There isn't enough fuel line to reroute them either.

The problem is that the fuel outlet on the Andair valve faces straight down and is a male fitting (they call it an AN-6). The fuel line has a threaded female fitting that fits that fitting, but it comes from the front of the plane and is 90 degrees off from the outlet of the Andair. Seems simple enough, but I can't seem to find a 90 degree elbow that is female on one side and male on the other at any of the big places (Spruce, Wicks etc.). Also, I am not clear on how to ensure that when I do find one, I can make it line up forward when it is snuggly tightened down.

Andair shows an adjustable elbow on their website but it has a male fitting on each end. If they have a male/female, it will probably take two weeks to get here. My plane is down until I sort this out (unless I want to go to the trouble of putting the old valve back in).

Anyone have an idea where I might get a fitting to use in this situation?

thanks,

bruce
N297NW

plumbing

Try Earl's, Jegs, or Summit racing products. You may also visit Bill Repucci's
9 web site (link on Vans website) for further info on installation.
Regards
N130TS

Race Car Parts

I think this is the part you are talking about

403921106.jpg

It's AN compatible, but not an actual AN part.... from the race car suppliers like the previous post mentioned.

The picture is from these guys...

http://www.anplumbing.com/shop/index.php?shop=&dept=Aluminum

.....hope this helps

gil in Tucson

Yup, that looks like it

I have purused the sites mentioned in the last two posts. I guess I wasn't aware of all the resources from the racing industries. Impressive amount of useful stuff on these sites.

thanks!

bruce
N297NW

I'm not sure which Vans selector valve you are replacing, but be careful of left vs. right. On my Vans valve the left tank is plumbed to the right side and vice versa. I believe the Andair valve plumbs the left tank to the left side.

Dave

Back