What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Meeting

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
Tuesday May 2, 7pm at the SE Ramp at Sanford Airport. I have some information to pass along regarding Florida sales and use taxes on experimental aircraft.

This meeting may save you lots of $$$ and trouble.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Tony

can you make it on Monday the first? we won't have any workers anyway, so we might as well play golf or go flying. :eek:

Taxes???

Tony

Could you pass some of this information on as I am planning on moving to Florida next spring and do not have any idea of what use tax or other costs there will be. I am flying off phase I an unfortunately will not make it to your meeting. Presently living in PA it would be out of my test area by a few miles.

Thanks

taxes on projects moved into florida

John,

I do not think that the same rules apply to completed aircraft but the rules relating to kits or parts are as follows:

If you are moving your project into Florida you are in a unique (and very favorable) position with respect to the Florida sales and use tax.

If you buy a kit or completed project and intend to use it in Florida, you must pay sales tax. You can pay tax on the kit, reserve an N number, and when the aircraft is finally registered you will owe no further tax. Florida checks the FAA list of newly registered aircraft regularly. If you registered an aircraft and did not contact the Florida Dept of Revenue to pay your taxes, they will contact you. I know this from experience :(

There is an exception for projects, parts, kits, etc that you own for 6 months before moving to Florida and bringing them with you. If you are contemplating moving your project into Florida it might be worthwhile renting a storage space for it until after you have owned it for a total of 6 months, then bringing it to Florida.

If you are almost finished with an aircraft and plan to move it to Florida, it might save you lots of money to move the parts, which you have owned for over 6 months, into Florida and complete the aircraft here.

The Florida Dept of Revenue has people especially assigned to aircraft, and Mr Bo Parmer is the person assigned to experimental aircraft. He has been doing it for many years. He is also very informative and a reasonable person.

I hope this information helps. By the way, where will you be moving to in Florida?

Tony

Last edited:
Moving to Florida

I bought a proporty in Cannon Creek Airpark (Lake City) and hope to start building a house early next year.

Thanks for the info. RV6A - 20.4 hrs 19.6 togo.

Taxes on aircraft brought into Florida

John, (and others who may bring aircraft into Florida)

I have good news for you. If you are bringing an aircraft into Florida, and you have owned that aircraft and operated it in another state for 6 months or more, it appears that you will NOT have to pay Florida sales or use taxes!!!!

Here is a quote from the Florida Dept of Revenue website:

Aircraft purchased and used outside Florida for more than 6 months are generally exempt when brought into Florida, if both of the following conditions are met:

The owner has owned the aircraft for more than 6 months.

The owner has used the aircraft in another state or states, U.S. territory, or District of Columbia 6 months or longer prior to bringing the aircraft to Florida.

Back