What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

REV/Bombardier news

cjensen

Well Known Member
From ANN this morning--

AES Gets Ready To REV Up The Piston Powerplant Biz

Wed, 26 Apr '06

Aircraft Engine Services (AES), Inc. has announced that it will be marketing the revolutionary V220 and V300T aircraft engines under the REV? brand.

"Since 1996, when we first began working on the concept for these piston aviation engines, there was a clear strategy for competing with the established players in the certified industry," said Luc de Gaspe Beaubien, Director of Operations for AES.

"As such, an established development procedure, including exhaustive flight test, was insisted upon for these engines. Today's announcement of the branding is yet another logical step on or path towards public availabilities of the REV V220 and V300T."

Set for certification in the third quarter of 2006 the REV V220 and V300T are currently undergoing testing and certification efforts at OEM manufacturers of certified piston aircraft.

"These launch partners will be instrumental in ensuring the product support organization is in place to support the REV V220 and V300T engines. Using the REV brand will help convey some of the key features and attributes of the revolutionary all aluminum FADEC controlled and PSRU equipped REV 220 and REV 300T," explained de Gaspe Beaubien.

With a propeller speed of 2000 RPM at WOT and some 1500 RPM in cruise the REV V200T and REV 300T can meet stringent European noise regulations, as well as forecasted emission standards for the next decades. For example, through the use of computer technology in their Engine Control Units, the REV 220 and REV 300T do not have to rely on the leaded aviation fuels as do competitive offerings.

"These features are revolutionary and truly differentiate the REV V200 and REV V 300T from their competitors" de Gaspe Beaubien said.

The REV branding, logo and identity will be officially unveiled at the July 2006 aviation gathering in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, known as the EAA's Air Venture 2006. The REV V220 and REV V300T's product certification schedule and projected market availabilities will also be announced at Air Venture 2006.

With roots dating back decades in General Aviation, AES is the marketing and product support entity for the V220 and V300T. The REV may be seen at booths 269 & 275 at Air Venture Oshkosh 2006.

AES-Aircraft Engine Services is the company marketing these.

Last edited:
More info

The specs: http://www.vaircraftengine.com/technicalV300.asp

Here is the news: http://www.aero-news.net/news/genav...f2a2c16-1451-479a-ad61-40eec3d4b353&Dynamic=1

They sell only direct to OEM aircraft makes at this time. :(

Quick facts
HP: 300hp (223 kW) @ 6000 rpm
Weight: 540 to 570 lbs. for the 300VT
Price: $$$$ secret, they will NOT say, and guess it is lots-O-bucks.

More info Here is their web site: http://www.vaircraftengines.com/home.asp

Bottom line no news for RV'ers. I guess if they get the V220 out and sell direct and sell it cheap and its not to big or heavy and ....... Still yet to be proved, I wounder who the launch customers are? I wounder what is "revolutionary" about it. All the technology is not new or unique. I just bristle a little when a company pats their self on the back for an engine that is not really shown its self in service or anyone really has heard of. They even admit that no one has heard of them. Sounds like they are trying to get some Buzz and PR going.

"Luc de Gaspe Beaubien", Director of Operations for AES. It says "based" in USA, but who owns it? Just curious. Sounds French to me. It really does not matter because you can't buy one. Also they have restrictions on who can work on the engine. Sounds like they want the new OEM certified market. Good luck with that.

George

Last edited:
The 220 is over 400lbs :eek:

This is a problem since they claim "Best power to weight ratio in it's class". I don't get that since the dry weight of an IO-390 is about 310lbs. I really hate to put anyone down, especially companies trying to break new ground but statements like this just make you doubt everything else they're doing.

I wish them the best of luck. I would love to have a choice that has a distinct advantage over Lycs, Mazda, Eggenfellner, etc etc etc AND is reasonably priced. Lycs et. al are all riddled with compromises and have no clear advantage when you add it all up....except maybe the Lycs just have a LONG history of reliable service in aircraft. Big woop. In another 50 years so will the rotaries, Sub's and others (probably, anyway...just my best guess).

Personally, I'm betting that the biggest advances will come with cost effective, LIGHT, aerospace composites that will allow things like:

1) RV class aircraft UNDER 700 lbs dry weight
2) Deformable surfaces that will allow for very high effeciency cruise numbers coupled with excellent slow speed handling characteristcs

This will make the choice of engine practically irrelavant, and the clear winner here would probably be a simple engine ala' Rotax (lawnmower engine, etc...you get the drift).

As J.C Hobbs would say: "If you have a feature that's giving you trouble, design something WITHOUT that feature". Engines/Fuel are a problem. I think the most promising advances will come designing AROUND the engine, not designing more effecient engines (that are already working at pretty good effeciency). Look at what Van's (coupled with a few thousand willing participants and garage workshops) is able to to with some hunks of aluminum and < 150 HP. Imagine where we'll be with another 50 years of aerodynamics and composite structure experience under our belts.

The biggest advancement I see for engines in the near term is SOMEONE please just give me a 200HP engine that doesn't cost >$30,000 (with some approaching $40,000). Yikes!!!

just my $.02....er...make that $.03

Last edited:
good questions and points george. i did the additional reading on their website after i posted that. i agree with everything you said...both engines would need to lose quite a bit of weight to work for our brand-o-bird. :rolleyes:

Bombardier

gmcjetpilot said:
"Luc de Gaspe Beaubien", Director of Operations for AES. It says "based" in USA, but who owns it? Just curious. Sounds French to me. It really does not matter because you can't buy one. Also they have restrictions on who can work on the engine. Sounds like they want the new OEM certified market. Good luck with that.
It's part of Bombardier. They are making the engines in Austria, at the same place they make the rotax. Same guys. I would guess the first test OEM would be Diamond, since they are also in Austria, but thats just a WAG.

I listened to an aero-news podcast about these engines, and their take on the weight issue was that they were the same or lighter when comparing full firewall forward installations. So their weights include water cooling etc so they wanted to compare against an IO-540 with baffels, oil coolers, accessories, etc.

Still seems like they are going for the P210 replacement engine, not a 2 place RV.

A little Bombardier recent history

rv8ch said:
It's part of Bombardier. They are making the engines in Austria, at the same place they make the rotax. Same guys. I would guess the first test OEM would be Diamond, since they are also in Austria, but thats just a WAG.

I work with a guy that was the test manager for Bombardier in Florida before Bombardier Recreation was sold a couple of years ago back to the original Canadian family that started SkiDoo. The Recreation group is the SkiDoo's, SeaDoos, ATV's, Outboard engines, and Rotax engines. You might remember it was about two years ago that this engine disappeared from radar. The airplanes and trains will stay with Bombardier. The airplane engine was being developed in Florida and built at the Rotax plant in Austria. Apparently they were very gung-ho about this engine and put alot of money into it. When the Recreation group was sold off to raise funds the airplane engine was put on the back burner. They moved the recreational product engineering back to Canada and only do durability in Florida now (That's how this guy I work with ended up in California, Canada was too cold for him).

Back