What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cape Cod area

Tom Martin

Well Known Member
My wife and I are considering a four or five day holiday in the Cap Cod area in the last week of June/ 1st week of July time frame. We will travel when the weather is right and are looking for suggestions about airports, places to see, things to do etc. I have looked at Falmouth, Providence, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard as potential stops. Any helpful hints would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

You have at least a couple of good choices...

I regularly take my -4 to both the Vineyard and Nantucket. Both are very good to private aircraft - even those as small as RV's. There are excellent bus systems and bike paths on both islands. Bikes are easy to rent. The last time my wife and I went to Nantucket (last summer), the bike rental agency dropped the bikes off at the airport and picked them up there as we left. If you like grass strips, Katama on the Vineyard is a cool place, too. I used to land my Citabria there all the time, but feel it's rough for my RV- mostly concerned about my wheel pants (I should have installed them with another inch of ground clearance). These spots are among the best places to visit by plane in New England. Block Island, off the southern coast of Rhode Island is an excellent choice as well.

PVD is too big and too far from interesting spots to be high on my list. Falmouth is a great little airport, but mostly there for the airport homes on the field. It's not too far from the Town of Falmouth and Woods Hole - where you can catch a ferry to the Vineyard.

Regardless of what you do, you should have a great time. Feel free to send me a PM if you want more info...

Good Luck,

Dean
Bolton, MA

CQX

CQX Chatham is another great place out on the cape to try.

Good eats close by and Lonnie the manager is a great artist with many cool paintings in the FBO.

tom, i have sent you a pm with some info. that is a great time for good wx and too much to do in 5 days. i believe the best kept secret is block island. plan on spending the day there on the beach and in town eating and shopping. fly in and walk to town and beaches if you want the exercise. also, dont forget the hudson river flight. get in touch when you get here. pic, kennedys house.

img1125o.jpg

img0756qf.jpg

ptown.jpg

Last edited:
St.Thomas, Ontario Canada, CYQS, is 455nm from New Bedford MA, where I am possibly going to land for customs. This is a bit more then two hours for the rocket and we are looking forward to exploring this area.

S. New England

Hi, Check out Block Island KBID, Rent a bike or taxi from the airport and check out the south side of the island. Beautiful remote beachs. Newport KUUU is nice to see. Historic and nice beachs as well and a ton of nice sea food restaurants. If I'm around, will be happy to pick you up and show you around Newport. Check in with Westerly KWST or the above for dew point and fog potential. All three are close to the coast and get the fog off the ocean first. The warmer weather coming in has cut the fog down lately. Two weeks ago it was foggy almost every day. Low's coming up the coast bring NE winds, sometimes strong and often hang for days. SW flow over the ocean can bring warm moist air and overcast or haze. HIgh pressure and a SW flow indicate a sea breeze and is often clear sky with low humidity. Good luck

On the Cape, try Chatham (right on the elbow)

Nice little town with an airport on the outskirts. Last time I was there they had a small cafe style restaurant at the FBO which made decent breakfasts. In town, the clam chowder at The Squire is really good. Have a good trip!

Back