What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How's the north east RV flying??

Mike D

Well Known Member
Hi All,
I am considering a move to the Pennsylvania, PA area. And of course one of the big concerns I have is the ability to fly. I have lived in CA and TX, so flying weather is usually good. But I have noticed storms rolling through the PA area many times of the year. So I am a little concerned. There is also that D.C circle of anti-GA.

So, How is the RV activity in the PA area?
How often can you fly?
What will the Tax man take from me?
Can I find a nice airport and a hangar?

Thanks!!!

So, How is the RV activity in the PA area?
Very Strong
How often can you fly?
We get more multi day storm fronts than late afternoon T storms. So I would say very often.
What will the Tax man take from me?
6% one time tax plus 2% if you live in alegany county or 1% if you live in the city of Philadelphia
Can I find a nice airport and a hangar?
Depends on where you live...

I have yet to find any GA unfriendly areas in PA. Pennsylvania has beautiful terrain that varies from flat farm land in the East to some pretty impressive mountain areas in the West and North. Unlike some states, there are still lots of smaller airports that are thriving and I'm sure you'll be able to find hanger space.

As far as weather, I fly year round. Winter is a lot of fun because the terrain can look completely different when its covered by snow... however its just nice if you have some cabin heat. Fall, Spring, and early Summer are absolutely gorgeous to fly. During the hottest part of the summer the mornings/evenings are fine (especially at altitude) but you should be used to it if you're coming from Texas.

Where are you looking to move to?

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies!!

We are thinking of moving near the New Garden Airport (N57) because it is close to my sister. But the job is in downtown Philadelphia. I am open to location as long as it is not too much of a drive to work. :)

Brandywine, PA?

My son and I are flying into the Philladelphia area in a few days. We are planning to fly into Brandywine and keep the plane there for a couple days as we check out Philly.
Anyone familiar with that airport?

I left that area about 5 years ago but if you get to New Garden see if you can get access to Lex duPont's museum if it's still there, lots of unrestored motorcycles, cars and aviation stuff. Driving to Philly depends on what you're used to with traffic, Rt 1 to I-476 is about 30-45 minutes to downtown.

New Garden is a great RV airport! There a bunch of builders on the field there and the EAA chapter is very active. They also have lots of events year round and are in the process of enlarging the airport and runways/taxiways!

The further north and west you come you can get housing and hangar for very good money, my father and I pay 1200$ a year on our field, for a 45x50 hangar, and real estate taxes are under 5000$ for housing, but is an hour and half drive one way so it's a double edged sword, fly up to 9n7 there are some rv guys and a real nice grass roots airport, there hangars are 125$ a month roughly.

Brandywine is excellent too . . .

A frequent visitor to this sight who flys a 7A is based there. New Garden has lots of RV activity as does Pottstown Limerick (Heritage Field). PA is a great place to fly! Good luck!

KOQN Brandywine

Bruce I am based at brandywine. There are five RVs on the field. feel free to call me with any questions. 610 745 4677 Easy to get to Philly from here. I have lived in West Chester for 38 years. Look forward to a call.

Mike New garden is home to EAA Chapter 240. A very active chapter with flyouts all year long. I think you will love PA flying. Please reach out to me with any questions.

Back