What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I'm moving to Reston

LynnHall

Moving to DC area.

Well, I guess I'm headed up to Reston, VA for a new job. I kind of hate to give up my nice comfortable flying life here in Columbus, Georgia, but its time to move on.

I hope to start meeting up everyone up there over the next few months (I will be starting in June).

I've been attempting to get a feel for the RV friendly airports around Reston, and at least find a tie down space. If anyone has suggestions or opinions, please feel free to message me.

Thank you,
Lynn Hall
N554LH
RV-9a

Welcome to the DC area Lynn. Reston is pretty close to Leesburg and there are quite a few RV's there. RV's are pretty well scattered around the area airports as well. GAI, DMW, FDK, FRR, and HGR. You shouldn't have too much trouble meeting up with RVers around here.

Don't think of the SFRA as a challenge....it really isn't. Just follow the procedures and you'll do fine. Leesburg has its own set of rules that you'll want to learn if you base there, the SFRA Leesburg Maneuvering Area, which actually make ingress and egress there easier.

Although almost dead, there are still quite a few guys in the area that monitor the mid-atlantic yahoo group so you may want to join that. Perhaps a good place to try and meet up with people or find a hangar.http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Mid-AtlRVwing/

There was somebody on here advertising to share a hangar at HEF. The guy has an RV-8 and might be a good option. Go take the online FAA course for the DC SFRA.

One more thing to enjoy, besides the HIGH cost of living, is the HIGH amount of congestion/vehicle traffic. Enjoy Route 7!! :rolleyes:

DC Area Flying

There is a lot of good flying around the DC area and with RV speed you can get to them: the Eastern shore (Delaware Maryland Virginia peninsula) is very scenic with lots of rivers and grass strips, you have the foliage in the fall, some of us do formation flying on the weekends if you want to do that, there are lots of fly-ins and places to go: Massey, Horn-Point, Virginia Festival of Flight, pancake breakfasts, Campbell Field, Golden Age Air Museum (Grimes Field) in PA, Reading, PA WWII airshow, just to mention a few.

Thank you for the tips. I have started making calls around the area and I guess I will eventually find a hangar. I waited over two years for the one I have now, so I guess I've got to see the big picture on that.

I took the online course, wow, its really changed a lot since the last time I flew in the area ('99). I sure hope all the extra regulation doesn't spread out to the rest of the country, it would really take the fun out of things.

I am really starting to see the value in removable wings like the 12. I might just rethink things and start building again. Being able to save 400 to 500 dollars a month on hangar space would really keep the operational cost down. Here in Columbus I only pay $98.00 a month for a pretty good t-hangar with power. Of course you have to wait a couple of years to get one, lol.

I think I will concentrate on JYO, HEF, or even CJR, they seem to be the ones within an hour drive or so.

Thank you,
Lynn Hall

Lynn,

Just saw your post. Welcome to the DC area! Lots of great RV folks around here.

If you are truly interested in the RV-12, just give me a call and we can get you up in New Blue which is based at 2W6, St. Mary's Airport. Look on the DC sectional, it's right next door to Patuxent Naval Air Station and out of the SFRA.

I hope you'll be working in Reston as well as living there. Traffic around here is really a bear, and getting worse.

Best regards,

Mitch Lock

Check out Warrenton

KHWY is a great place and is outside the ADIZ.

Several RVs on the field. Its a few miles further than the other alternatives but worth it as it has an actual community.

DC area is nice to live in except for the cost of living, the traffic (just named worst commute in the nation), and the fact that the national political news is the local news so you'll really need to strap on oru RV just to escape.

I lived in Reston and based at both KHEF and KHWY. The extra 15 miles or so is worth the drive. Leesburg is closer but all the cool pilots base at KHWY. The aerobatic box and fact a lot of the Flying Circus guys base there might have something to do with setting the tone. KHEF and KJYO are becoming almost exclusively "Executive Airports" with all the good and bad that can lead to.

thats good information to know

Thats good information to know, I've sent an email and will get on the waiting list there too. Hopefully something will open up before winter.

Thank you,
Lynn

Back