What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Caught off guard on kit lead times

jchang10

Well Known Member
I thought I would call a month in advance of when i would want the wing kit. To my surprise, wing kit lead times are 2.5 months!!! Yikes! I need to get that order in now then. I had my tail kit shipped in 2 days, so i was expecting the same.

Looking at the order form, it looks like i have 2 main options:
1. landing lights - $95
2. fuel senders - $54

I am just curious why these are options at all? It seems like we should ALL have lights and fuel gauges, right? I guess I am just not sure why they are options, nor why anyone would not add them? They are cheap enough, in the grand scheme of things, where i should just add them. Just wanted to make sure i am not missing something.

Thanks for the input!
Jae

On landing lights, there are many options outside the standard Van's lights. Looks like Van's standard on the RV-10 in now the wingtip lights. Many people like the Duckworth installation in the wing leading edge.

I guess they make the fuel senders an option in case you want to design your own since they don't offer a capacitive sender on the 10 yet.

I know the Duckworks are expensive but the HID's are incredible. I am going to use Van's lights as taxi lights and the Duckworks HID's as landing lights.

Grand Rapids is also falling way behind on their shipments. I hope they can catch up soon. This economy is just incredible right now and lots of people are buying lots of stuff.

The biggest mistake I made when I ordered my wing kit was to order the landing lights. They sat on my shelf for 2 years before I needed them, all to save a few bucks shipping. Something to think about as some will tell you the Whelen systems don't do good sitting. My .02.

jchang10 said:
I thought I would call a month in advance of when i would want the wing kit. To my surprise, wing kit lead times are 2.5 months!!! Yikes!
Jae, make yourself a list of things that need to be done around the house. If your wings don't show up for a few weeks get as many of them done as you can, because when they do get delivered, you won't have time for anything else. :)

gbrasch said:
some will tell you the Whelen systems don't do good sitting. My .02.
The strobe power supplies are the part that doesn't like sitting, so landing lights are ok. However, all of the landing light options can be installed later.

sending units

There is only one option for sending units on the RV10 tanks..the Stewart Warner version. It is only listed on the order form because they do not come in the kit...you have to purchase them as a separate line item. The first rib is already puched in the correct mounting hole pattern, so it would be difficult to use anything else. I advise you buy them when you order the wing kit. You will want them installed in the tanks so you can pressure check at the end of the tank build.
Cheers...
Evan Johnson
www.evansaviationproducts.com
530-351-1776

I got caught off guard a year ago ordering the finishing kit. I think we had to wait 5-6 months. Plan ahead for all your ordering.

Thanks again

Thanks again for the feedback. I thought i had posted a reply earlier, but funny, i don't see it.

I have the order in and now all i have to do is count the days. the break from building will at least give me some time to do some research and ask some more questions. ;)

Jae

I forgot to mention... For those not sure about which options to go with, it is my understanding that you don't have to order your options at the time you order the wings. I ordered my wings w/o any senders (before I had made up my mind), and told Van's which senders to include about 2 weeks before the wings shipped. This way I could get my order in and get in line, before being forced to make any decisions.

Back