What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSHKOSH Tip -- Keep Your Wheels from Settling Into Wet Ground

chrispratt

Well Known Member
Sometimes an idea is so elegant in its simplicity that it is beyond my ability to think of it. So I'll credit a friend of mine with this idea -- I think it will work and I plan to have it as an option should this year's Airventure become another splash-in.

I was discussing Slosh-kosh 2010 with this friend. I mentioned that because of the rain and soft ground I'd brought along a couple of boards I had quickly cut to slip under the wheels to prevent my RV-8 from settling into the soft turf in the parking area. They worked but were cumbersome and required some help to line them up and rock the plane into place. Luckily, mine were thick enough that they held. Other people near me also brought boards but not heavy enough and they broke under the weight of the plane.

So my friend said, why don't you just buy some plastic splash blocks like you use around the house under the rain gutter downspouts. Huh?? That's brilliant, I said. But will they hold the aircraft's weight without buckling and allow clearance for the wheel pants? Only way to find out was to buy some and try.

So my weekend project was to stop by Lowe's, pick up two polyvinyl splash blocks (I prefer green to match the grass) and roll the airplane on to them. In the hangar, at least, the blocks held up fine (aircraft was almost full fuel). The aircraft rolled easily into the blocks.

I thought it would be best to place the "tall" side of the ramp at back so that at departure you could simply roll the airplane forward and straight out to the departure line. Click link below for more photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/pratt....rtForSoftGround?authkey=Gv1sRgCNbniufexJj2Yg#

Admittedly I have not put this idea to a real world test, i.e. wet ground at an event. I'm still wondering if the footprint of the block will be wide enough to keep from settling.

So it's still in test, but I thought it might be a helpful idea for anyone who camps out a lot and runs in to this situation. The splash blocks are very light and easily fit in the forward baggage compartment of my -8. They cost about $8 each. So, it's worth a shot. No guarantees.

I guess you can tell I'm already thinking about Oshkosh. Hope to see you there.

Chris

Last edited:
<snip>

So it's still in test, but I thought it might be a helpful idea for anyone who camps out a lot and runs in to this situation. The splash blocks are very light and easily fit in the forward baggage compartment of my -8. They cost about $8 each. So, it's worth a shot. No guarantees.

I guess you can tell I'm already thinking about Oshkosh. Hope to see you there.

Chris

Two 6" x 1' pieces of 1/2 inch ply do the same thing, and are lighter too...

They have been an Oshkosh and SnF staple of mine for several years.

Last edited:
I like the way you think! That's a great idea.

I'm thinking weight, so I'll probably stick with the 1/2" ply, but my RV just won't look as cool as it could have with the gutter drains.

Just like you, I'm starting to get into the (Sl)Oshkosh mode. Hoping for a dry, hot summer - no rain, no tornadoes! This will be my first year camping with my plane in HBC.

Fibreglass cafeteria trays might work well too... They will also nest together quite well.

Two 6" x 1' pieces of 1/2 inch ply do the same thing, and are lighter too...

They have been an Oshkosh and SnF staple of mine for several years.

Yup, 1/2" ply was what I used last year. The splash blocks are actually lighter (the ones I have are anyway and they nest for storage). Hope we don't need them this year. See you there.

Chris

So my weekend project was to stop by Lowe's, pick up two polyvinyl splash blocks (I prefer green to match the grass)
Not a bad idea, but consider picking out a color that contrasts against the grass rather than blends in. Last year we had to go and pick up literally hundreds of pieces of wood that were left behind by departing (and frankly inconsiderate) pilots in the homebuilt parking/ camping areas. I'm afraid that a green one that blends in might be missed, only to be found by someones prop or the lawn mower.

Not a bad idea, but consider picking out a color that contrasts against the grass rather than blends in. Last year we had to go and pick up literally hundreds of pieces of wood that were left behind by departing (and frankly inconsiderate) pilots in the homebuilt parking/ camping areas. I'm afraid that a green one that blends in might be missed, only to be found by someones prop or the lawn mower.

All,
Please keep in mind that these things are building materials...they don't exactly come in every color of the rainbow. Green, brown and gray are about the only color options you'll have. To Jeff's point (no pun intended there, buddy), gray is going to be the only option for maximum visibility. And please remember to pick them up when you leave so Jeff doesn't find them with the mower...

All,
Please keep in mind that these things are building materials...they don't exactly come in every color of the rainbow. Green, brown and gray are about the only color options you'll have. To Jeff's point (no pun intended there, buddy), gray is going to be the only option for maximum visibility. And please remember to pick them up when you leave so Jeff doesn't find them with the mower...
I bet the same store you buy the downspout splashblocks sells 99 cent krylon

I bet the same store you buy the downspout splashblocks sells 99 cent krylon

TC,
These things are formulated so that stuff doesn't stick to them...they're splashblocks afterall...so you'd need to get the 99 cent pack of sandpaper to rough 'em up, and the 99 cent rattle can of primer too...and the clearcoat to make sure the color coat stays on... :D

And then somebody will come along and want graphics... :eek:

Cheap plastic splashblocks from the homestore: $6.95
Primer, paint, clearcoat, graphics & supplies: $3,599.95
Having the brightest, coolest, most colorful splashblocks around: priceless :D

I cut 16" diameter pads out of 1/2" plywood. Stick them in front of each wheel and roll forward another 8" or so. No sinkage, not even last year in HBC. When leaving, I just threw them in the local dumpster.

I used some scrap 0.50" 5052-H32 I had in the bin and folded up a couple pads about 12x6. Put 0.75"(ish) flanges on all edges to stiffen it up. Worked great, and due to my less than precise bending, they sorta nest. Took about ten minutes. (helps if you have a kick shear, notcher and pan brake in your hangar!).
The only problem is that you almost need chocks because the tires want to roll off if the ground is not perfectly level.

Nice paint Job

Actually Chris, do you have pictures of the rest of your aircraft?

It looks like a great paint job.

Would love to see it.

Are the downspout devices solid on the bottom? If not, then in wet conditions they may still sink.

Back