What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Famed test pilot dies (Scott Crossfield)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
...from CNN. Hoping for the best...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/04/20/georgia.plane/index.html

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- Authorities were searching early Thursday for a small plane registered to a famed test pilot that vanished from radar on Wednesday on a flight from Prattville, Alabama, to Manassas, Virginia.

Air traffic control last had contact with the plane registered to test pilot Scott Crossfield about 11 a.m. Wednesday when it was about 10 miles southwest of Ellijay, Georgia, about 60 miles north of Atlanta, an FAA spokeswoman told CNN.

The spokeswoman said she could not confirm who was aboard the single engine plane.

Crossfield, 84, was the first man to fly the X-15 jet and the first pilot to fly faster than Mach 2. He was the test pilot for several other research aircraft and won dozens of awards and honors for his pioneering work. Crossfield's test pilot character was immortalized in the book by Tom Wolfe, "The Right Stuff," and portrayed by actor Scott Wilson in the movie of the same name.

Capt. Paige Joyner of the Civil Air Patrol also would not confirm the identity of the pilot but said the family had reported no contact.

Joyner said the plane departed Prattville, about 12 miles northwest of Montgomery, at about 9 a.m.

Bad News...

From WXIA News Web Site:

Legendary Pilot Killed in Crash

The son-in-law of legendary test pilot Scott Crossfield confirmed that Crossfield's body was found in the wreckage of his plane in North Georgia, the Associated Press reported.

Wreckage from a plane registered to Crossfield was found in the forests of Ranger, Ga., just before 1 p.m. Thursday, Gordon County EMA Director Courtney Taylor confirmed for 11Alive News reporter Kevin Rowson. The Associated Press reported that a body was found inside the wreckage.

The plane that went missing on Wednesday was owned by the 84-year-old Crossfield, the first man to fly at twice the speed of sound. Officials were not certain at first if Crossfield was piloting the Cessna when it disappeared from radar near Ellijay, Ga.

The Cessna left Prattville, Ala. on a flight to Virginia. The Civil Air Patrol's Georgia wing helped conduct air and ground searches along the flight path, a spokesperson said. The wreckage was found on the border of Gordon and Pickens county.

On Nov. 20, 1953, Crossfield became the first man to fly at twice the speed of sound as he piloted the Douglas D-558-II Skyrocket to a speed of 1,291 mph. He was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 1983, the International Space Hall of Fame in 1988, and the Aerospace Walk of Honor in 1990.

Very sad, a legend lost.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Crossfield family and friends.

Last edited:
While we all are saddened at the loss of this legend, think about this: he lived a long, full life, and went out doing what he loved. We should all hope to do so well. It?s better than fading away in a nursing home.

loss of a legend

Very sad. We've lost a legend. He would probably disagree with being labeled as such, but the fact is people obtain legendary status when they blaze trails into unknown or dangerous territory, live to tell about it and teach others what they have learned.

The guys of Mr. Crossfield's generation and experience strike me as real heroes -- they flew machines that nobody was sure would fly, they left the safety of our atmosphere/planet, they fought wars and they did all of this for the benefit of others. They aren't thrill seekers but rather explorers.

He will be missed.

I saw on the news he was in (near) a level 6 thunderstorm and (this from RV friend Don Hull who saw the data on FlightAware) that his groundspeed was down to 96kts from 150kts for the last 30 minutes of the flight. Maybe this was to reduce his airspeed to below maneuvering speed.

Very sad.

I can give you a ground based report that the weather in that area was awful at the time of his crash. Hail the size of golfballs, lightning, wind, rain, etc. Not the place for any GA aircraft, and I imagine the big iron was avoiding it too.

An unfortunate way to lose an aviation legend.

It's always sad when one of the great ones die. He will be missed! My condolences to his family.

Jim Kinsey
RV 7A Tank

Back