What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Outboard Aileron hinge bracket pre-punched?

andyrv

Well Known Member
My inboard hinge bracket (powder coat) was prepunched but the ouboard bracket has no holes. I don't see any documentation related to this. Seems like it would be hard to clamp and drill this with the ailerons hanging in place.

Thanks,
Andy

Which bracket

Andy:
You're talking about the hinge bracket that's attached to the aileron, not the bracket attached to the rear spar and outboard rib, right?

Bob

Aileron bracket

Yes....I'm talking about the white powder coated bracket that attaches to the outboard end of the aileron. The inboard piece that the pushrod attaches to was pre-punched for hole location. The outboard piece has no holes.

Thanks,
Andy

I thought that I saw an answer to your ? on this forum.

There are no holes on one side , I think that you are to match the pieces together and then drill through one side to the other thereby using one side as a template, and then rivet them together with the bearing in-between. Be careful that the two are aligned before drilling.

I hope that this is correct and this might help.
Dave

There should be the two holes for mounting it to the aileron and holes in the ears for the bolt that holds the assembly to the bearing support. They need to be drilled out to size, but holes should be there. Check with Van's. You may have gotten a bad part.

robertahegy said:
There should be the two holes for mounting it to the aileron and holes in the ears for the bolt that holds the assembly to the bearing support. They need to be drilled out to size, but holes should be there. Check with Van's. You may have gotten a bad part.

I agree. I just mounted mine yesterday and today. The holes were there in mine. Are *both* of yours like that or just one?

Wrong brackets

According to Van's tech support I have the wrong brackets. They wanted me to hang the aileron by one bracket and try to set it up to mark the undrilled brackets. I'm not taking a chance at drilling this wrong and messing up a pair of very nice QB ailerons. My time is worth more than the $6.60 parts to fix this right. I'm dissapointed that Van's didn't just send out the correct parts but it wasn't worth arguing over so I just ordered them with some other misc hardware I needed.

Andy

Back