What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Jacking RV's off the ground

robertahegy

Moderator/Tech Counselor
A while back someone asked about jacking the planes for wheel maintenance and for setting the plane and gear in a proper position to set the wheel pants. I've posted some pics on how I did it using two wing jacks from the Jackhouse and some concrete building blocks and chain.

Van's sells the plastic hard points for jacking the wings. They are screwed into the threaded holes for the wing tiedowns.

A chain is run around a pipe and secured to the tail tiedown or tail wheel. The pipe is anchored by running it through 4 concrete blocks. You can adjust for level by lengthening or shortening the chain and adjusting the wing jack height. A bolt and washers with a nut attaches the chain at the proper length.

The jacks aren't cheap ($165 each), so if you have a club or know other low wing plane owners, maybe you can share the expense. They really do a good job and safely get all wheels off the ground for a variety of reasons.

planejack14sm.jpg

planejack23sn.jpg

jacking trikes

Thanks, Roberta. I've been wondering how to do that.
As an aside note, my new cowl inlet/FAB inlet plugs arrived in the mail. All three plugs attached together in an attractive package with N-number on it. Jenny at Kennon Aircraft Covers does nice work.
Mark Andrews N598X

I also got a set of jacks at the 'Jackhouse' and found them excellent. I had to cut the lock channels to fit, but those jacks are fine quality meant for the long term (insurance, cheap).
I also took some bolts of the samr thread as the tie-down rings, rounded the heads down to a conical shape to fit the cups in the tie downs and sunk a 300# 'deadman' weight into the hangar floor for the tail wheel connection.
This works extremely well and the set-up is a secure one; I've climbed in and out of the cockpit w/o any problems while the acft was jacked up.

Jim

Excellent idea on making the jacking hard points. Wish I had thought of that. Oh well, If I ever need a replacement, that will be it. I was going to sink an anchor in the floor, just can' decide where, yet.

I had a cover for my Cherokee from them (Kennon). Good people. I'll have to order the plugs for my 7A. Thanks for the referal.

Roberta

jacks for rv's

van's just put one out recently. works great. on weighs 9 lbs with all the tools and tire patch kit, so you can put it in the plane just incase you get stuck. 200 bucks but well worth it. the plane can't slip off it.

Thanks. I needed something that made me feel as good on the ground as my RV makes me feel in the air.

Roberta :) ;)

car63ch.jpg

Jacking without Wings

I need to get the weight off the wheels to fit the gear fairings and pants. Trying to do this before I go to the hangar, so I need to jack the plane without the wings on.

Suggestions include 2 motorcycle lifts (and spacers) under the spar with a tail weight.

Any thoughts?

Kennon

Do you have info for Kennon Aircraft Covers? Address or e-mail or phone? How much did you pay for your cowl plugs if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks

Pete, the motorcycle jacks should be fine. put a rug and some wide boards and/or plywood to prevent damaging the bottom. In any event, be careful when jacking a plane off the ground. Be sure it is level and stable to work on.

Roberta

Pete,

I use one motorcycle jack ($4X at Pep Boys with rebate if I remember right) and a spacer out of scrap wood I made. That took a few minutes because i had to make it to clear the com antenna that I have in the way. I then use a saw horse under the tail to make sure the plane cannot fall backwards. If working on the nosewheel then just hang weight off the tie down ring in order to MAKE it stay on the saw horse. Cheap solution, no fiddling around, and super easy. A piece off old carpet or something between the spacer and the fuselage.

Scott - #90598 - N598SD Flying - 52 hours

Thanks

Roberta and Scott,

Thanks for the help. Roberta - I have made some progress since you helped me with the cowl!

Back