What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help needed in The Dalles (KDLS)

Spindrift

Well Known Member
Hi all,

For the last 9 months, the RV7 I bought last June has been grounded in The Dalles due to finding metal shavings in the oil. My good friend Brett is the only full-time CFI/A&P on the field, and he borrowed the plane in exchange for performing the first oil change after my purchase. The results were not good. Turns out that in addition to the metal shavings, the IO-360 A1A engine was almost worthless due to a cracked crank and other problems, so I bought a new 180 hp IO-360 which we have been working on installing for the last couple of months. The challenge is that I live in Portland, a 1 1/2 hour drive away, and my buddy is WAY too busy -- running the FBO, maintaining other customers' planes, doing 100 hour inspections on the flight school's planes, and teaching students. I travel a ton for work, so I can't get over there very often. To make the situation even more stressful, I've just received a job offer in Michigan, so I REALLY need to get this bird back in the air soon.

So, I'm putting out a call to NW RVators for help getting the remaining work done. Because I switched from 200hp to 180hp, new baffling and exhaust has to be installed, and the new ECI FI required return fuel lines and a new fuel selector. The air intake also required the addition of the cowl scoop.

What I've done:
- Completed the plumbing of the fuel system behind the firewall to the tanks
- The bulk of the fiberglass work for the cowl
- Initial fitting for the Van's baffle kit

What needs to be completed:
- remaining FWF plumbing
- completion of the baffle installation
- installation of the oil cooler
- installation of the EGT & CHT sensors and connection to the MGL Avionics Stratomaster Enigma
- installation of the Catto 3-blade prop that has already been re-pitched for the 180hp engine (and nickel leading edges added)
- final fitting of the air intake and a bit more fiberglass work
- calibration/reprogramming of the EFIS

At the moment I'm at FL360 in an A319 from ORD to SLC, then on to LAS, but my plan is to drive over Saturday morning for a work session, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll gladly cover travel expenses. If there are any experienced builders and/or A&P's out there that would be willing to put in some time even when I'm not there, I'm sure we can work something out. The plane will be in the maintenance hanger with access to a full set of tools, and Brett can "supervise" the work, but he's usually in-and-out either with students or working on another plane.

Feel free to call if you might be able to help and have questions (five-oh-three-709-1492) or email me at bill dot inman at wwwinc dot com.

Thanks in advance!

Try Terry Burch..

...He's an A@P/IA and has built several RV's, including my -10. He's somewhere around Seattle and makes "house calls" in his Cessna 210.

R 360 652 8105
Cell 360 708 6645

Best,

save time by flying out to the Dalles?

Ideally, if you can find a helper that also has an RV of his own, the two of you could save a ton of time by flying to where the airplane is, rather than driving.

Lots of builders in that area, someone should step up to help with your project.

Pierre - thanks for the suggestion. I'll give him a call.

Ryan - no clue. It came out of a Mooney, was overhauled and flown in a Pitts for a while, then sold to the builder of my RV. I knew from the pre-buy it was going to need new cylinders soon due to corrosion, but the cracked crank made it seem like a better option to just start fresh.

Steve - that's what I'm hoping for!

Back