What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fantasy of Flight Fly-In? Any interest?

fl-mike

Well Known Member
I was thinking it would be cool to get a group RV fly-in to Fantasy of Flight.
I contacted them, and if we can get 10 or more planes confirmed (seems VERY do-able) the pricing would be as follows:
$70/plane-pilot
$40/passenger
That price includes:
  • Landing Fee
  • Admission to Fantasy of Flight
  • Private one-hour guided tour
  • Specially selected lunch in themed Officers Club
  • All taxes/gratuities
I'm thinking Saturday May 28, but that's just a dartboard pick. (Memorial Day weekend)
There are deposit, registration, insurance, lead-time etc. requirments, but I can provide details on all that if there is sufficient interest.

FoF info:
http://www.fantasyofflight.com/

I'd be up for it! Will poll the Sunday breakfast group to see if any are interested.

Keep in mind that you have to pay in full in advance (I think two weeks), and there are no refunds if the weather does not cooperate.

I have been involved with several groups that tried to do a fly-in there, and we have yet to get 10 people to pony up the money with the knowledge that they won't get their money back if the weather is bad that day.

Interested? Definitely yes, but not for over twice the regular admission price. I've looked into this in the past, and ultimately decided not to out of feeling penalized for wanting to fly in.

I would agree that they are not exactly encouraging fly-in's.
I figure you're paying $10 for lunch and a $20 landing fee. Certainly not getting any discounts!

my felling is that they have to pony up some extra insurance $ for the flyin event. i have flown in a bunch of times and believe it would be a great rv event well worth the cash. count me in if it is going to happen. ill take a chance on the wx. i remember one event there waiting over I-4 for a hole to open up to be the second one in behind a float plane who departed a lake close by. the wx is pretty good this time of year except for a few tornados!!!!!! ouch.
img0898aw.jpg

I'd be interested. I tried to set one up a few years back but could never get the 10 to commit.
As Ryan said, there's no deal but would be cool to fly in there. Maybe we can get them to agree to give us a credit for another time in the event the weather doesn't cooperate. Just a thought.

we could fly into lakeland or winter haven and rent or find local rvers to get there. problem solved.
douglasf4dskyray.gif

Last edited:
I'd be interested

Always wanted to fly into that field. $70 is a bit steep but hey, I spend that much on fuel when I go somewhere in SFL for lunch. This is a 10 minute ride from ZPH - so with lunch included, it's a wash.

See Ryan, you can rationalize anything.

Sure, I'd go.

They will reschedule up to five days out. So if the five day forecast is looking iffy, we can reschedule. The five day limit appears to be related to food logistics, etc.

i got a email response to go.

Turbo,
I?m interested in going if the group is big enough.
Rich Z
RV7 N42PZ
FMY

Well, there certainly has been a lackluster response to what I thought would be a very cool event.

Flying into a top notch grass strip and wandering around cool historic planes all day is worth a few extra bucks to me. Seems weird that we can get 30 planes to a "$100" breakfast as Sebring, but can't get 10 commitments to FoF.

Oh well.

FOF

Mike,

I've been by car, but would love to fly-in and meet some of you RV flyers. My sister lives in Venice. Maybe next time I visit her I'll look you up. Anyway, I can't make it if the fly-in is before July. I can't believe that every weekend is filled until then. You have a great idea and I wish I could give you my commitment. Come on fellows, FOF is really impressive. Where in the world can you stand and look at 24 P51 Mustang engines in their original crates all stacked in one spot. The tour is really good.

I would be interested but ...

We are dealing with a major medical problem for now. That is a special destination. This kind of thing can emerge as a great flying movement. I organized fly-ins for The Flying Club based at Orange County in southern California for several years in the 1980s and 1990s so I'm not making a whimsical statement - friendships and memories that developed in that experience continue today long after the demise of the aircraft industry and other things that made the activity possible (mainly the concentration of willing and able people). Good luck and don't get discouraged by modest response - these things tend to grow based on what the participants experience and smaller activities can often be much more enjoyable and memorable than the big productions that are more for the show that the people. The fly-ins to Petit Jean here in Arkansas seem to be taking on a special quality.

Bob Axsom

Back