What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb to AFP Conversion

61DX

For those of you that have converted from carb to the Airflow Performance injection, I would be interested to know how and where you mounted the fuel flow transducer. Any advice would be appreciated.

For those of you that have converted from carb to the Airflow Performance injection, I would be interested to know how and where you mounted the fuel flow transducer. Any advice would be appreciated.

Supported buy the inlet and outlet hoses and then adel clamped to the engine mount (around one of the STEEL hose fittings/STEEL fittings in the FFT). The location is between the spyder and the servo.

I am not converting from carb to AFP FI (I'm installing initially), but as Walt said, the natural position is clamped to the engine mount between the servo and spider. In this position you can have fairly straight feeds before and after the FF sensor, and a constant up-slope from the servo to the spider as recommended by AFP. For what it's worth, my installation is on a taildragger with vertical induction (as I assume you have, since you have/had a carb), and I'm not flying yet so I can't vouch for performance.

Last edited:
I did this on an 8, and installed the FF cube right by the electric pump, next to the rudder pedals. It was the only place I could find anywhere close to 12" of straight and level line.

Paul, Walt -- do you have or know of any photos of the install clamped to the mount tube? I'm working out the same routing right now (AFP, updraft sump). The best I'm able to visualize so far requires elbow fittings on the transducer.

Will try some more googling too...

Thanks ~

Thanks for the replies. Mine is an updraft, and the fuel line between the servo and spider looks like it should be routed upward from the servo between the #1 and #3 cylinder to the top of the engine.

Forgive me, but I'm having trouble trying to picture the routing that would involve clamping to the engine mount (sometimes I'm a little slow). I agree with Joshua, if you could kindly post a pic that would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
A coupla pics...

Here are a couple of pictures of my install (sorry for the quality - it's hard to get good pictures using my camera). This is a work in progress, so ignore the vinyl hoses - they're just being used to obtain the length for the real hoses I need to order. Also, I still have to secure wires, hoses, replace temporary hardware, etc...

IMG_5132_Small.jpg

IMG_5133_Small.jpg

And, yes, the hose from the FF sensor to the spider routes up between the #1 & #3 cylinders through a grommet in the inter-cylinder baffle.

Last edited:
Paul, Walt -- do you have or know of any photos of the install clamped to the mount tube? I'm working out the same routing right now (AFP, updraft sump). The best I'm able to visualize so far requires elbow fittings on the transducer.

Will try some more googling too...

Thanks ~

I'm due for an oil change this weekend and will try to remember to take some pics for you.

As promised...
Hard to see as the transducer is wrapped in fire sleeve but you can see the edge of the adel clamp behind the scat tube that attaches to another adel that goes around the STEEL hose fitting (all steel fittings are used). The insulated aluminum tape you see on the aft fuel hose is there to reduce radiant energy from the exhaust system below.

IMG_6225a.gif

Back